Mmmm... Dutch Babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SodiumPentathol

Assistant Cook
Anyone else a devoted Dutch Baby fan? They're my hands down favourite breakfast food :) We usually smother them in syrup before eating. I haven't made them in ages because I didn't have the same kind of pan I've always seen them made in, but I read today that some people make them in a cast iron skillet. Which I DO have. Just a tip if you've never made them, if you use salted butter the outside edges that curl up get this lovely crisp salty flavour that we love, but I've also met people who dislike it and use unsalted butter. Give it a try and let me know if you like the salty edge or not ;)

DUTCH BABIES

FOR 2 TO 3 QUART PAN:
1/4 c. butter
3 eggs
3/4 c. milk
3/4 c. flour

FOR 3 TO 4 QUART PAN:
1/3 c. butter
4 eggs
1 c. milk
1 c. flour

FOR 4 TO 4 1/2 QUART PAN:
1/2 c. butter
5 eggs
1 1/4 c. milk
1 1/4 c. flour

FOR 4 1/2 TO 5 QUART PAN:
1/2 c. butter
6 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
1 1/2 c. flour

Select the recipe proportions to fit your pan, and get out the ingredients you will need.
Put the butter in the pan and set it into a 425 degree oven after first dusting the pan with nutmeg, then mix batter quickly while butter melts. Put eggs in blender container and whirl at high speed for 1 minute. With motor running, gradually pour in milk, then slowly add flour; continue whirling for 30 seconds.

(With a rotary beater, beat eggs until light and lemon colored; gradually beat in milk, then flour.)

Remove pan from oven with the butter melted and pour batter into the hot melted butter. Return the pan to the oven and bake until puffy and well browned, 20 to 25 minutes.

Serve at once with any fruit topping, i.e. canned pie filling, hot fruit, fresh fruit. (Best - fresh strawberries then topped with whipped cream.) Syrups or powdered sugar is good, too.

I made them for my Son and DIL last week while I visited them in Tacoma. They loved them. We served them with fresh fruit slices, and strawberry freezer jam. Yum!
I didn't have my CI pans available to me, and so made them with a heavy, 12 inch Calphalon Teflon Coated pan. They still came out great.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Do you find they stick when cooked in the cast iron? I've only ever had them cooked in a large enamel pan used only for making dutch babies, so it'll be a new experience trying to make them in anything else :P

Do you find they stick when cooked in the cast iron? I've only ever had them cooked in a large enamel pan used only for making dutch babies, so it'll be a new experience trying to make them in anything else :P

Just make sure the cast iron is well seasoned, and that the butter is added to the hot pan just before the batter. You should have no problem with them sticking.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Dutch babies puff up in the oven, as they rise the edges curl up the pan and get a bit crispy. Plus they're just one big pastry in a pan that you cut up and serve. Taste wise they're similar, the dutch baby is just... puffier.

Dutch babies use a similar batter to Yorkshire Pudding and pop-overs. They are somewhat eggy pastries and are flat and puffy, without the cake structure of pancakes. And yes, they are yummy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

These are nice in the winter.

I am not sure if this variation is Dutch Baby or Yorkshire pudding but, instead of using butter fry some crumbled pork sausage in the pan and then add the batter.

Great with real maple syrup on a snowy night.

I recorded a Cooks Country episode where they made a dutch baby, but I haven't tried it yet. I am still trying to get the hang of turning over the ᴁbelskivers!

It's sort of a toss up. You can make it one day and have it turn out perfectly, try the EXACT same method a day later and for some reason have it come out entirely flat. I mean, even flat it's delicious. But I do LOVE a fresh baby right out of the oven before it has time to fall.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom