My custard pie didn't set!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nebula

Assistant Cook
I tried making an egg custard pie for the first time today. I baked it at 400 for 35 minutes and noticed that when I took it out of the oven, it was still very soupy. I put it in the fridge, thinking it would set, but it's been two hours and it is still entirely liquid. How can I fix it?

Not sure you can fix it. It would help if you posted or linked to the recipe so we can help

You cannot fix it.

400 degrees is too high to cook a custard pie, I would go no higher than 325. Cooking times are just a guideline a something like a custard takes a little technique to tell if it is done. Usually if you jiggle the pie, it should jiggle like Jello, but not slosh in the middle. This should insure that it will set.

This is all assuming that you are using a good recipe with no changes or substitutions.

Pumpkin pie, cheescake, and key-lime pies are all examples of custard pies. With all of them, you start with a hot oven, typically 425' F. After ten minutes, the heat is turned down to 325 and the custard then bakes an additional 45 minutes, or longer. If the pie isn't cooked long enough, the filling won't get hot enough to set.

It is heat, and the proper ratio of egg to liquid that causes it to set. For instance, with my cheesecake recipe, if I use the above listed timing, the filling still jiggles a bit when the pie is tested. I know it's done, and that it will bake longer as it cools in the oven with the door open. It is velvety-smooth and creamy. If I cook it 15 minutes longer, before testing, it is much more firm, and a bit on the dry side, but still very good. If I cook it ten minutes less, it is soup.

Most custard pies that I know of use 3 large eggs, and about 12 oz. of liquid, plus sugar and flavorings.

Just some examples.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks for all the help - I'll keep it all in mind when I try again.

I've actually made that recipe from Allrecipes with great success. I'm pretty sure that I didn't cook at 400 for the entire time, maybe just the first 10 minutes like Chief Longwind suggested.

Right 400 deg. for 10 mins then to 325 or 350 until it is done. I have had that problem when I didn't really mix it well enough.

Right 400 deg. for 10 mins then to 325 or 350 until it is done. I have had that problem when I didn't really mix it well enough.

I don't care for the directions of that recipe at all. It is not specific enough for a beginner. It doesn't tell the baker to mix the ingredients well until all the sugar is dissolved. It doesn't state to put the egg white wash on at the beginning to give it a chance to air dry some. It also fails to tell her to temper the egg mixture with the scalded milk. And I prefer to use a water bath for my custards. And it definitely should have told her to reduce the temperature.

It states that this was the winner in a pie contest. Evidently the creator is an experienced baker. She needs to learn how to write a recipe properly. And what's with the yellow food coloring? That's a new one for me. :angel:

Didn't notice the yellow food coloring, Addie. Strange. You are spot on with your critique.

Thank you. Anytime I am writing a recipe for someone, I try to write it in the manner you make it. The very first thing, is to set the oven on for preheating. Then grease and flour cake pans if applicalbe. Then list the ingredients. If some of the ingredients are to be done in two different steps, I leave a line between sets of ingredients. Ex. Sugar, butter; line space because you are going to cream the sugar and butter together. then continue on. I try to keep in mind that maybe someday it may be a newbie to cooking or baking that will be looking at the recipe. :angel:

I’m great at following a recipe, and my husband loves custard pie... I could have bought one at the local market, but thought for Father’s Day I’d make him one. You know, it’s more from the heart... but I made it and it didn’t set... I don’t understand what I could have done wrong... I followed the recipe exactly what it Said.... what a disappointment... I felt horrible that it didn’t work... because I then had nothing to give him for Father’s Day... 325 is the highest I set the temp. All I can do is try again... ????

I’m great at following a recipe, and my husband loves custard pie... I could have bought one at the local market, but thought for Father’s Day I’d make him one. You know, it’s more from the heart... but I made it and it didn’t set... I don’t understand what I could have done wrong... I followed the recipe exactly what it Said.... what a disappointment... I felt horrible that it didn’t work... because I then had nothing to give him for Father’s Day... 325 is the highest I set the temp. All I can do is try again... ????

I hope you made it a point to read this whole thread. Excellent advice from those who know.

Definitely try again. And when you are surprised at being successful with it, you can present it to hubby and tell him "every day in this house is Father's Day."

Back
Top Bottom