Need Pie Crust Technique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Ok, I've given out lots of advice on making tender, flaky, and tasty pie crusts. The information is tried and true, and gives me great results, for a two-crust pie that is.

Here's my problem. Whenever I try to blind-bake a single crust, the edges, through they are fluted, and sit on the edge of the pie pan, seem to melt and fall toward the pan bottom before they set. This happens whether I bake them at 350, 375, or as I did last night, at 450' F. I used a glass pie pan, but it also happens in my metal pans.

SS or ceramic pie beads wouldn't stop the sides from drooping, as they only hold down the bottom.

I use lard in my crust, and in a two crust recipe, or even a recipe where there is only one crust, but with filling, the curst is so light and tender, and flaky.

Any ideas on how I can get the sides to stand tall when blind baking a crust? All ideas are welcome.

Here's my normal recipe for a two crust pie. I just use half of it when making a single crust pie:

3 cups AP flour
1.5 tsp. salt
Lard to make the raw crust like pea gravel before ice water is added
3 tbs. or so ice water.
Fold together just until a dough ball is formed.
Flour my work surface and roll out the dough.
Transfer to the pan, flute the edges, poke holes in the bottom and sides with a fork. Bake until golden brown.

I know that someone on this site has the answer I need. Thanks in advance.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

One of the TV bakers gave a hint about putting them in freezer for maybe 10-15 minutes before baking or leaving it in the fridge for an extended period of time (couple hours or longer) before baking so that the fat is totally solidified. I think doing that was supposed to help prevent shrinkage and help prevent it from falling over.

I'm usually in too much of a hurry when I'm making a pie to wait that long but on the rare occasion I've done it, my crust didn't shrink as much and didn't fall over either.

Last edited:
Try this Chief,
When you put your pastry in the dish don't trim the edges but let them lap over the sides. Line with your paper and baking beans and cook as usual. When you take it out to discard the paper/beans get your rolling pin and roll over the pastry case north-south, east-west. The surplus at the edges will come away. Don't discard these trimmings. dust with sugar and regard them as cooks perks! Return to the oven to brown off as normal. Any untidy bits can be disguised with the topping later.
I use pennies now instead of baking beans and find the results work well as the metal heats as does the base of course so it kind of evens out if you get my meaning. Hope this helps ;)

I just use 2 pie plates, I have tried everything else but the double pie plates works the best, hand down..

Also DO NOT stretch your crust, roll it plenty large enough so you dont have to stretch it. I also chill for at least an hour before baking a shell.

Also what are you sing to flute? I use the round end of my pastry wheel, I also have an old pastry wheel with the built in fluted end on one side...

you can get them on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Brass-P...448?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4ae90860
mine is this one or very similar
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1866-LECHNE.../221545230950?pt=Folk_Art&hash=item33951ff266

If I am cooking in a pan I dont have 2 of or cant be doubled, I use these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T3QMJQ?psc=1

I have a 9" emile henry pie dish that the ss chain works great in, that pie dish is impossible to cook blind crusts in with out that chain, but they come so nice in that pan, and it was only like $25... Most of them time I will just use double tin pans since when I make pies its usually to take some where..

Last edited:
Try this Chief,
When you put your pastry in the dish don't trim the edges but let them lap over the sides. Line with your paper and baking beans and cook as usual. When you take it out to discard the paper/beans get your rolling pin and roll over the pastry case north-south, east-west. The surplus at the edges will come away. Don't discard these trimmings. dust with sugar and regard them as cooks perks! Return to the oven to brown off as normal. Any untidy bits can be disguised with the topping later.
I use pennies now instead of baking beans and find the results work well as the metal heats as does the base of course so it kind of evens out if you get my meaning. Hope this helps ;)
What she said!

I just use 2 pie plates, I have tried everything else but the double pie plates works the best, hand down..

Also DO NOT stretch your crust, roll it plenty large enough so you dont have to stretch it. I also chill for at least an hour before baking a shell.

Also what are you sing to flute? I use the round end of my pastry wheel, I also have an old pastry wheel with the built in fluted end on one side...

you can get them on ebay
Old Brass Pie Crust Crimper with Wheel and Pastry Cutter Edger | eBay
1866 Lechner Stump Pie Crimper Brass Iron | eBay

If I am cooking in a pan I dont have 2 of or cant be doubled, I use these Amazon.com: Pie Weight - Perfect Crust Pie Stainless Steel Weight Chain - 6 Feet: Kitchen & Dining

I have a 9" emile henry pie dish that the ss chain works great in, that pie dish is impossible to cook blind crusts in with out that chain, but they come so nice in that pan, and it was only like $25... Most of them time I will just use double tin pans since when I make pies its usually to take some where..

I just use my thumb and fore-finger. It makes a very pretty, and delicate edge. I have a pie-edging wheel, but find that I lose some of that personality that comes from working the pie with my hands. I imagine it's like how a sculptor feels with his clay.

I do like the advice on how to keep the sides from melting down the pan sides though. Thanks, everyone.

seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I read in one of my many cookbooks that if the crust "melts" the ratio of flour to shortening is off. Too much shortening is the problem. I haven't had this problem, but it made sense to me.

you can get them on ebay
Old Brass Pie Crust Crimper with Wheel and Pastry Cutter Edger | eBay
1866 Lechner Stump Pie Crimper Brass Iron | eBay

If I am cooking in a pan I dont have 2 of or cant be doubled, I use these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T3QMJQ?psc=1

I had some dried beans that were just too old to use for food. So they are my pie weights. When the crusts cools, I pour the beans back into a zippy bag. Been using them for about five years now.

I had some dried beans that were just too old to use for food. So they are my pie weights. When the crusts cools, I pour the beans back into a zippy bag. Been using them for about five years now.
I do the same thing. I line the crust with foil, put the beans in, and then take the beans and foil out when the crust is blind baked. Once the beans are cooled, I put them back in the zippy to use again (and again, and again, and again). I gave the beans to the young lads and had to start with new ones recently.

I do the same thing. I line the crust with foil, put the beans in, and then take the beans and foil out when the crust is blind baked. Once the beans are cooled, I put them back in the zippy to use again (and again, and again, and again). I gave the beans to the young lads and had to start with new ones recently.

A small bag of Navy beans is just the right amount to keep the sides from sliding down. They go right up the sides of the pie plate to the edge. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom