Peach pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erehweslefox

Sous Chef
At the market on Sunday peaches were fresh and looking very nice, so decided to make up a pie. As the peaches were fresh and beautiful, I made it as simple as possible, to let the peaches stand out! I use a crust from Dariana Allen's cookbooks, that I like as it is simple, and you don't have to worry about very cold water or vodka or anything fancy. It does take some planning ahead, as it is best if chilled for two hours.

Ended up looking and tasting pretty good.

4a3ZoehQk5TtTwnW6
https://goo.gl/photos/4a3ZoehQk5TtTwnW6

to wit:

Peach Pie

For Crust:

2 sticks butter
1/4 cup superfine sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups flour (12.75 oz)

For filling:

4 peaches, peeled and sliced
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
juice of one lemon or lime

For wash:

1 egg yolk
2 tbsp water

First make the crust. Cream the butter and sugar together. (if you don't have a mixer, which I don't, you can slice the butter into thin pats, add the sugar in a large bowl, and take two butter knives and work them in a scissoring motion until the butter looks like little pebbles). Add eggs and beat for a minute or two (without a blender I whisk the eggs first, and then incorporate with a wooden spoon), gently mix the flour in until it forms a dough. Make a round of the dough on floured parchment paper and chill for at least two hours.

As a note, the dough can be made ahead and kept in the fridge, wrapped for several days, or frozen for a week.

For the filling:

Cut a shallow x on the bottom of each peach with a sharp knife. Blanch the peaches in boiling water for a minute, until skin loosens, and then transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water. Skin the peaches, and cut into thin wedges.

Combine the peaches, sugar, citrus juice, and flour in a bowl, and stir. Let sit for 10-15 minutes.

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.

Roll 2/3 of the filling out to about 1/8 inch, and line a greased and floured pie pan. Press the crust into the pan. Add the filling. Roll the remainder of the dough into a round to top. Top the pie, and crimp the edges. Brush top of crust with egg wash made of one egg yolk and t tbsp water. Cut holes in top of crust to let steam out in whatever pattern you prefer.

Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 and Cover the edge of pie with tin foil (I use toothpicks to get it to stay put). Bake for another 40 minutes or until top is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool in rack.

Serve with ice cream and whipped cream to taste.

Enjoy!

It does sound delicious, but the picture is a broken link for me too.

Hey guys, I'm not the least bit tech savvy and I was actually able to see the pie the first time! (I right-clicked the link in Post 1, opening it in a second tab). And, boy, does it look good, Fox! :yum: I have vanilla ice cream. Himself and I could be there...after you've gone to bed. *sigh*

I've said it before, I'll say it again: My very favorite peach pie does not bake the peaches. I have yet to make one since the first time I've said that, though. I guess I had better get crackin' on that so I can share it with you guys. Virtually, of course. ;)

At the market on Sunday peaches were fresh and looking very nice, so decided to make up a pie. As the peaches were fresh and beautiful, I made it as simple as possible, to let the peaches stand out! I use a crust from Dariana Allen's cookbooks, that I like as it is simple, and you don't have to worry about very cold water or vodka or anything fancy. It does take some planning ahead, as it is best if chilled for two hours.

Ended up looking and tasting pretty good.

4a3ZoehQk5TtTwnW6
https://goo.gl/photos/4a3ZoehQk5TtTwnW6

to wit:

Peach Pie

For Crust:

2 sticks butter
1/4 cup superfine sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups flour (12.75 oz)

For filling:

4 peaches, peeled and sliced
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
juice of one lemon or lime

For wash:

1 egg yolk
2 tbsp water

First make the crust. Cream the butter and sugar together. (if you don't have a mixer, which I don't, you can slice the butter into thin pats, add the sugar in a large bowl, and take two butter knives and work them in a scissoring motion until the butter looks like little pebbles). Add eggs and beat for a minute or two (without a blender I whisk the eggs first, and then incorporate with a wooden spoon), gently mix the flour in until it forms a dough. Make a round of the dough on floured parchment paper and chill for at least two hours.

As a note, the dough can be made ahead and kept in the fridge, wrapped for several days, or frozen for a week.

For the filling:

Cut a shallow x on the bottom of each peach with a sharp knife. Blanch the peaches in boiling water for a minute, until skin loosens, and then transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water. Skin the peaches, and cut into thin wedges.

Combine the peaches, sugar, citrus juice, and flour in a bowl, and stir. Let sit for 10-15 minutes.

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.

Roll 2/3 of the filling out to about 1/8 inch, and line a greased and floured pie pan. Press the crust into the pan. Add the filling. Roll the remainder of the dough into a round to top. Top the pie, and crimp the edges. Brush top of crust with egg wash made of one egg yolk and t tbsp water. Cut holes in top of crust to let steam out in whatever pattern you prefer.

Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 and Cover the edge of pie with tin foil (I use toothpicks to get it to stay put). Bake for another 40 minutes or until top is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool in rack.

Serve with ice cream and whipped cream to taste.

Enjoy!

Very nice looking pie. You only need to learn to flute the edges.;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Curious, why use Google Photo when DC has it's own photo attachment?
That way everyone can see your creation, I mean I'm just sayin' ;)

Well, I take my pictures on my cell phone, but post on my laptop. My cell pictures upload auto to google photos, and my laptop isn't very good, so I don't really have IMG files to work with. When I try to post the photo as an image from the google link, well it gives me a broken box, so I've just been posting them as links.

One of these days I'll figure out how to imbed them from Google in my posts. I just haven't yet. All my stuff is google based for convenience across platforms, mainly because my home laptop is basically an old netbook I just use for word processing. I use the computers on campus for my teaching stuff, my wife's desktop for anything serious like photoshop/indesign so I keep everything on google docs / photos so I have it available anywhere. If y'all know how to get a photo from Google photos into a post as an img, let me know. I imagine it is possible, as posting links works, I just haven't taken the time to figure it out.

I think my experimenting with trying to make it work caused the broken link problem mentioned in the beginning of the thread.

Oh and @Chief of the Northwind, you mean there is a more elegant way to do it than just pressing it together with my crude apish thumbs? Food for thought...

Cheers,

TBS

"Oh and @Chief of the Northwind, you mean there is a more elegant way to do it than just pressing it together with my crude apish thumbs? Food for thought...":LOL:

I don't usually do this, but may I direct you to my blog. There is a peach pie in it that you can use for an example, with pictures.:mrgreen: And no, this isn't a shameless plug for my blog, simply relaying a place where you can get instructions on how to make those apish thumbs work for you.;) If you decide to click on the blog, go to lesson 27. There are pictures of me fluting the crust, and what it looks like when it's done. After putting in the filling, and laying the top crust on, tuck the excess dough that's hanging over the bottom crust between the bottom crust and the pie plate. Pinch the two crusts together to reform the fluting. You will be impressed with your newfound ability. Have fun with it, and try making larger or smaller waves on the pie crust edge, or simply press a fork down on them to make it look like a store-bought pie. And by the way, did I mention that your pie has me drooling?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I actually like the rustic look of home made baked goods. Good thing, because the few times I do bake, it sure doesn't look store bought. :ermm::LOL:

Last edited:
... snipped ... If y'all know how to get a photo from Google photos into a post as an img, let me know.

I use Google, but I don't load from my camera directly to it, but I can use the attachment icon in the menu bar above (see the paperclip), download the jpg, close and then hit the attachment carrot to place the photo in my post...
Granted, I am not one of the "techies" here at DC, but that's how I do it... ;)

lesson 27.

We like this

There are pictures of me fluting the crust, and what it looks like when it's done. After putting in the filling, and laying the top crust on, tuck the excess dough that's hanging over the bottom crust between the bottom crust and the pie plate. Pinch the two crusts together to reform the fluting. You will be impressed with your newfound ability. Have fun with it, and try making larger or smaller waves on the pie crust edge,

I am new at pie, to be honest, I'm happy I got a decent patry crust.Like realy happy it was flaky I am psyched.

did I mention that your pie has me drooling?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North[/QUOTE]

I use Google, but I don't load from my camera directly to it, but I can use the attachment icon in the menu bar above (see the paperclip), download the jpg, close and then hit the attachment carrot to place the photo in my post...
Granted, I am not one of the "techies" here at DC, but that's how I do it... ;)

Can you use it to embed a photo? The photo icon it looks like a mountain with a small star in the right corner.

Back
Top Bottom