PECAN PIE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charbear23

Assistant Cook
I am attempting to make my first Pecan Pie to take to the in-laws for Thanksgiving. My husband and I are newlyweds and it is his favorite- so I am attemtping to make it for him. How do I tell when it is done???? I think my Marie Callendar frozen crust is falling apart. Any way to prevent this? I took it out of the oven and it seems really runny. Is this normal?? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Cooked at 350' for 45 minutes, it's runny like soup. Tried putting it back in for an extra 5 and its the same way....

I usually do 375 for about 1 hour - let the oven heat back up and put it in for about 15-20 more minutes (the extra 5 minutes will allow the middle to heat up again. It will be somewhat wiggly until it cools - I had this same problem one year - ALSO - make sure you have it in the upper 1/3 of your oven - rack slightly above middle and pie on that rack. If your crust is getting too brown crunch some aluminum foil around it. Let me know if it works.

Before you take it out of the oven just make sure the middle is "set" and not liquid.

ONE MORE THING - you might want to set the oven on 400, put pie in for 10 minutes then reduce to 350 - that's exactly what my recipe says to do - but I think it would be OK now too - just cover the crust.

To boost the pie to a whole other level, try adding around 4oz. of semi-sweet Baker's chocolate.

Another to die for variation is to use half shredded coconut and half pecans. In fact, the recipe I use can also be used to make coconut pie..subsituting same amount of coconut for the pecans. Gosh, maybe the chocolate, khaula, and coconut added to the pecans! What a thought! Yum!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom