Pecan Pie, Goodweed Style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Remember the threads on pecan pies? Well, I've never made one. So I came to D.S. looking for a good recipe. I couldn't find one, just some advise here and there. So I did a Google Search and ran into a recipe that received very good reviews. So I tried it, but with some changes. It came out very, very good. My oldest daughter was in an experimental mood, as was I, and here's what we came up with. And I flat garuntee, if you don't love this pie, well, then there's just no hope for you:rolleyes:. It has just a touch of the North in it.:chef:

And to give credit where credit is due, the recipe, minus the changes, comes from: Janis Dohmann's Pecan Pie. Thank you Janis Dohman, whoever and whrever you are.

Pecan Pie, Northern Style

Ingredients:
2 large Eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup Light Corn Syrup
1/2 cup Sugar
2 Tbs. Flour
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 tsp. Maple Extract (this is part of what makes it Goodweed Style)
2 tbs. real Butter (this is the other part), melted.
1-1/4 cups broken, fresh pecans

Preheat oven to 375 deg F.

Spread pecans evenly accross the bottom of an unbaked 9-inch pie shell. Or, If you want to make this pie look amazing, purchase fancy pecan halves, and starting from the center, lay pecans on crust, like spokes in a wheel, radiating toward the rim. Mix remaining ingredients together and pour over the pecans.

Bake at 375 deg F. for 40 to 50 minutes. I baked mine for 45 minutes and it came out perfect. But your oven temp may be different than mine, so adjust accordingly.

Be sure to use light corn syrup. Dark corn syrup can give the pies a flavor that's too strong, and a darker color that just doesn't look as good.

Enjoy this pie with your family and freinds. It's going to become a tradition.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

oh.... if only I had found this two days ago. I'd be munching on pecan pie right now. This sounds delish!

Goodweed:

When I was developing my pecan pie recipe my research showed that most recipes used a combination of dark corn syrup and white sugar or light corn syrup and brown sugar. I use the dark syrup/white sugar combo. It add a nice richness to the flavor.

Also, Since it's a pecan pie, I sprinkled nuts on the crust, mixed nuts into the filling and laid nuts on the top before baking.

Weed, your recipe sounds delicious. Mine is a little different, but it's a good one too.

Kentucky Pecan Pie

1 cup white corn syrup
1/3 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 heaping cup whole pecans
1 9" pie shell, unbaked

Combine syrup, sugar, salt, butter and vanilla and beat well. Beat in eggs. Pour into pie shell. Sprinkle pecans over all. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom