Pie Crust!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tancowgirl2000

Head Chef
I was watching one of my daughters shows today and they do this little thing where a kid goes to the zoo ro dog trainer or cooking ro whatever. Anyways I actually learnt something from it!! When needing to cut the lard/butter into the flour use a cheese grater!! Man how much easier my life would have been had I thought of that earlier. I have never had a pastry cutter and always just used two butter knives!!! Now I have a hankering to build a pie...perhaps apple I think!!!

Apple sounds good to me. I'll have it after I finish the French toast.
Have a good night!!

Why didn't I ever think of that?!!
The Barefoot Contessa uses her food processor to make pie crust. Anyone here ever try doing it that way?

Constance said:
Why didn't I ever think of that?!!
The Barefoot Contessa uses her food processor to make pie crust. Anyone here ever try doing it that way?

I've done that. It works fine.

Food processors work great - just don't over pulse it - 10-12 pulses usually does the trick.

And if you're grating your butter, make sure it's really cold to start with - even frozen works!

IMO, the thing about using the food processor is that you don't get a real good feel for the amount of water that the dough needs, which is always somewhat different depending on humidity and the flour you are using.

I just have a better feel for that when I am using my hands.

But my food processor crust has come out pretty well most times, I do admit.

The only problem with the food processor for me is that I don't like cleaning the food processor! Just kidding....I have to make so many at one time I have to do them by hand.

Every time I try to make a pie crust by hand it comes out aweful! My mother thought it apostasy to use the food processor for pie crust but I get a lot of compliments on my pie crusts when I make them in the food processor... I'm sold!

Back
Top Bottom