Pie Crust Help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
The making of the pie crust is what's driving me insane! I have been using 1 cup flour, dash salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/3 cup shortening, (with a tad of water-4 or 5 tablespoons) to make pie crust for an apple crostata and every time I go roll out the dough, it breaks apart. I'm so frustrated with the dough. I should be getting a round pie crust, not the map of the US. Any suggestions? HELP!!!

Dina

Dina, ditch the sugar. Try 2/3 cup lard (or shortening), 2 cups flour, and 4-5 tbsps of very cold water. Use a pastry blender or do it in your food processor until crumbs are about pea sized. This makes one whole pie, top and bottom. Good luck Dina!

Thanks for the tip Alix. I'll have to omit the sugar next time to see if that works better. In the meantime, I'll work with store bought crust.

Dina

I know someone else will be by soon to offer help. My only other suggestion is that you may be over working the dough. Wait for a more expert opinion though! LOL.

I always had trouble making pie crust until I came across this recipe called, "Never fail pie crust" It's great.

Mix and chill for a 1/2 hr. Enough for 2 double crust.

3 cups sugar

1/2 lb lard

1 tsp salt

1 egg

1 Tlb vinegar

5 Tlb water.
I mix the water and vineger and egg together.
Roll the dough out between wax paper that you have floured. Turn dough over a couple times to keep both sides floured. If wax paper stickes a little just peel it back slow. This makes a very flakey pie crust.

Maybe I wasn't suppose to post this recipe here. Getting kinda complicated as to where to post.Well I couldn't tell you what was wrong with your recipe so i just posted the one I use.

I've only used cold butter in my pie crust recipes. It's important that the butter is cold. Hey everyones pie crust comes apart. Once you get your pastry rolled, put it in the pie pan, cut off the extra, and use it with some sugar and cinnamon for a dessert.

The key is to wrap the dough in plastic and put it in the fridge for a couple of hours to allow the flour to hydrate and allow the dough to set. Then it will be easier to work and roll out.

I've been using a recipe similar to Alix's, and the same thing happens: it refuses to stay in one piece. I just arrange the pieces in the pie dish and on top of the filling and "glue" them together with a dab of milk. Within the family they are known as my "frankenpies", but no-one really cares what they look like :whistling

What everyone else said.

Also, you may not be using enough water. America's Test Kitchen claims that that is the #1 mistake with pie crusts and that it's better to err on the side of a bit too much than a bit too little.

The amount of water you need will vary with the humidity of the kitchen and the type of flour you use.

This is the pie crust recipe I use and comes out perfectly every time.

300g(10,5oz) flour
120g(4oz+) butter (unsalted)
120g(4oz+) sugar
1 egg

cut the cold butter in small cubes and rub them into the flour. Add sugar and mix them evenly. drop the egg in then knead the dough until it attains a smooth dough. Wrap it in a plastic wrap and let it rest in a fridge for circa 1 hour before stretch onto the pie sheet.

Thanks for your tips everyone. I ended up tossing the pie crust dough I made last night. Could it be the sugar I added? And I did wrap the dough with plastic and refrigerated it overnight...oops. I just made a new dough this morning and added one egg and "no" sugar. That seemed to work better and the egg made it stick together. This requires patience...which I lack. Thanks again anyway guys.

Dina

I think the sugar is definitely the culprit. I also agree with jennyema, I generally put more water in than most folks think is required, but I just make it so all the dough "sticks" together in a ball.

I do think though that you need to be careful not to overwork pastry dough. That is generally the problem when it falls apart. When you get it all stuck together just pinch it in the middle to get two balls, lightly flour your rolling pin and the surface you are going to use. Take the first half of the dough and shape it into a flattened ball and then roll it out to the size of your pie plate. Put it in, sprinkle some flour in and fill it up. Repeat with the top crust.

I have made this post assuming you are using the recipe I posted, I have never used another recipe as this one works well for me.

Sugar doesn't hurt the dough at all... I use sugar all the time and have no problem. The egg should keep it together.

More in terms of amount licia, it sounded like a lot of sugar to me. Sweetening the dough wouldn't be an issue I wouldn't think.

I think it's so interesting to see how differently everyone makes their pie crusts. I'm terrible at it. I'm a great bread maker...but HATE making pie crusts. I buy (pillsbury???) crusts that you just lay in the pie tins. My mom is the BEST pie maker ever. Here's her recipe (though following the recipe doesn't make my crusts come out like hers!):

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening
1/4 cup cold water

Cut the shortening into the flour and salt. Add cold water and mix. Makes 1 double crust and 1 single crust.

Mom always sprinkles her top crust with sugar before baking.

Also she rolls her crusts between waxed paper...

Callie,
My Mom's the best in making pie crusts too. Moms are always the best cooking teachers, by far! I went over to visit with her this afternoon and over a great chat and a nice cup of coffee she whipped up an apple pie with homemade crust and all! She's absolutely fabulous! You know where I'll be getting my pastry tips from. Happy baking and thanks for posting your recipe.

Dina

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom