Pie with frozen fruit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spikel20

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I was wondering if some cooking expert could tell me if it's possible to make a berry pie with frozen fruit. I live in Michigan, so it's very expensive to make a berry pie with fresh fruit in the winter when they're out of season. I was wanting to make a raspberry pie using frozen raspberries or strawberries.

My fear is that it will get too soggy and ruin the crust. If the fruit is thawed first, how much do I use and do I drain it first? Any tips? I couldn't find any answers on the internet.

Thanks!

As for can you use frozen fruit/berries to make pies - sure. How they are packed depends on if you treat them like fresh (fruit/berries without juice) or canned (packed in juice).

You might get all the other answers you need by reading this information on pies from baking911.com.

Welcome to DC!! I would defrost and then drain the fruit but be careful that you don't crush the berries too much. A pie with whole berries looks better.

Thawed frozen berries will always be softer and juicier than fresh berries. When I freeze my raspberries I place them on a cookie sheet and freeze them. Once frozen I put them into bags and place back in the freezer.

To make a pie, I take out amount needed and only let them thaw for about 10 to 15 minutes and then make pie according to recipe direction. I find frozen Raspberries and Blackberries, Boysenberries, etc all make great pies. There is no real extra juice to deal with this method. If there is, just add a little more flour or tapioca or drain off any juice. I do Pie Cherries this way also.

I am originally from Michigan ... we used to use frozen local berries all the time for pie. Boy do I miss those goodies. We would partially thaw in colander, be sure to drain off any juice, and be sure to add a bit more thickener to your filling, just in case. We would also brush the crust with eggwhite before par-baking it prior to filling.

p.s. Favorite filling was cherry/blueberry/peach -- YUM.

Thanks everyone, for your suggestions! I think I'm ready to give it a shot :)

Frozen Berry Pies

Thank you for the information, i too freeze my stawberries & raspberries on a cookie sheet then place them in plastic bags and when i made a raspberry pie last week there was not alot juice.

Back
Top Bottom