Pretty pie edge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
How do you shape one? Double crust is a little easier I think, but my last single crust looked like it went thru the wash machine or something!:ohmy:

My mum always used cutlery depending on which effect she wanted. Fork tines made into a #, butter knife for semi-circles, patterned teaspoon for an impression. We are the types that use what's around. I remember grabbing her pinking shears when I wanted to do a fancy edge on biscuits (??) when I was a kid and cutting the pastry all prettily! Boy did I get in trouble for that!

I have a set of mini cookie cutters. I roll out the scraps and cut out shapes that I put around the pie. Need to use an egg wash to make them stick. Looks very pretty when I want a special occasion pie.

Ohhh that Is pretty! I don;t think I'll have time for all that though, and I'd probably break it on the way there! Maybe when it's here.

It was so pretty that Martha herself was gushing(!)

Something that I like to do is just use some of the edge that I cut off and just use tiny cutters. I don't put them on the edge, though. I make a plain fluted edge and then use an egg wash to put the cut cuties on the middle of the shell. It detracts from the edge ;)

My favorite is the little 2" high gingerbread boy cutters. I have them all hold hands around the pie.

Lattice pie crusts look so pretty to me. Guess I'm old-fashioned. Another decorative look - use heart or star-shaped cookie cutters on the dough. Remove the hearts/stars, so you can see through to the pie. (Hope that makes sense.) The heart shapes go nicely with cherry pie fillings.

Here are some other ideas. The checkerboard & braided crust edges caught my eye.

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--813/decorative-pie-crust-edges.asp

Last edited:
Lattice pie crusts look so pretty to me. Guess I'm old-fashioned. Another decorative look - use heart or star-shaped cookie cutters on the dough. Remove the hearts/stars, so you can see through to the pie. (Hope that makes sense.) The heart shapes go nicely with cherry pie fillings.

Here are some other ideas. The checkerboard & braided crust edges caught my eye.

Decorative Pie Crust Edges: Easy How-To Cooking Tips & Advice: RecipeTips.com

Wow, it is sure nice, but I bet it is time consuming, and if you ask me i am more for the taste than for looks. ;)

Lattice Tops & Crust Decorations

I made two lattice top pies over the weekend. The first had a rustic look as it required me to baste the crust with the caramel mixture for the pie, and it turned out nicely in it's own right. (Apple Pie by Grandma Ople on AllRecipes.com).

The second attempt didn't go so well. I used the same crust recipe and this time I made the lattice nice, and even fashioned cut out leaves with indentations for the veins. I then brushed the crust with an egg wash before baking.

When I checked a few minutes later a lot of the lattice straps had broken, and the leaves that I had placed on the top had puffed up. The crust was just all around puffy and unable to retain shape, and not browned or glossed at all. What did I do wrong? Was it the egg wash I used? The contents of the crust (shortening only, no butter or oil)? Maybe the lattice strips were too thin? If anybody can shed some light on this, I'd be really grateful. :(

:)

Decorative Pie Crust Edges: Easy How-To Cooking Tips & Advice: RecipeTips.com

:) Check here Amy nailed it I have this link in my favorites.

These ideas are all so nice! Next time I make a pie I'll consult this thread for inspiration. Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom