Pudding basics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Power-Append

Assistant Cook
I need to learn how to make pudding, but I'm not sure how so, I need the basics for making pudding, so please if you could help

Thank You :)

Welcome to DC. The basic ingredients for scratch pudding are
Sugar
Cornstaqrch
Egg
Vanilla Extract
Milk
Salt

Depending on whether you want to make, vanilla, butterscotch, chocolate, there are additional ingredients. I have a recipe for each one. Let me know if you would like to have them. Puddings are simple to make, better than the box kind, but take a lot of stirring. :chef:

Along with pudding, you can expand to custards, pana-cota, and puddings as defined by British cooking. Do a google search for British puddings and you probably will have quite an eye opener.;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Groaty Dick Pudding

I was curious about British puddings so I googled "British pudding recipes" and came up with the article above. What an odd name. Like they say, two countries separated by a common language...

I really like Yorkshire pudding. One of my favorite restaurants used to serve it with prime rib. (All my favorite restaurants seem to be ones that went out of business decades ago.) I've made my own Yorkshire pudding from time to time and it came out pretty good although not as good as I remembered. Good thing though, I can always cook it again and make it better.

I think the OP should just google vanilla pudding recipes and pick one, follow the directions. I can't think of anything else to do except googling it myself and cutting 'n pasting the directions (and probably violating somebody's copyright).

I thought it was Spotted Dick, now they have Groaty Dick too? :cool:

I was down on my hands and knees last night in the Cupboard of Un-Used Gadgets looking for my Pasta machine/ rollers thinking there might be something worthwhile to contibute in the Pasta Making thread. I don't think reporting an accumulated layer of dust is what I was looking for. I did also find my Brand New Never Been Used In the Original Williams Sonoma Box it came in, English Plum Pudding Mold. Garage sale. This is the kind of thing I won't pay over a buck for and don't want to give up.

Some Year I am going to make a Plum Pudding !! :rolleyes:

You're doing pretty good as long as you aren't down on your hands and knees worshiping the porcelain idol of the great god Ralph! :D

Worshipers are known to call out his name!

Last edited:
Yeh, well remind me to throw my prayer rug down first next time. It's hard on the knees down there. And it ain't so easy getting up again either :ROFLMAO:

And speaking for all men, please don't put the frilly thing on the cover. Unless you provide some means for it to stay up while men are concentrating. :)

I think we've gotten a little off topic here. We have a new member looking for help. And yes, I thiknnk google is teh place to look here, unless someone is familiar with making home-made puddings, of the North America variety. And yes, I realize that I was the one who first mentioned British Puddings.

Power-Append, if you want custard recipes, I can help with that.

I think we've gotten a little off topic here. We have a new member looking for help. And yes, I thiknnk google is teh place to look here, unless someone is familiar with making home-made puddings, of the North America variety. And yes, I realize that I was the one who first mentioned British Puddings.

Power-Append, if you want custard recipes, I can help with that.

I used to make the cooking kind of the box puddings. Then I felt adventerous and decided to make it from scratch. Have never looked back since. It is best if made in a double boiler. (double boilers were covered in a previous posting) But if that is not feasible, you MUST stir it constantly and with vigor. Can be very tiring. Don't blink, it will thicken instantly and burn even quicker. I prefer a metal saucepan over a non-stick. But you must make sure you get along that edge of the bottom. Or it will burn. Cook on low heat.

Any recipe on the 'net will do. As stated, they all contain some standard ingredients. When I see a recipe with less than five stars, I question the impatience of the cook, not the recipe. Good Luck. :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom