Pumpkin Pie Alternatives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellyrn

Assistant Cook
Now that it's approaching the holiday season, I am looking for alternatives to pumpkin pie. What do you like to bake? A couple years ago, I was served an amazing pumpkin mousse, but I've been unable to find a recipe. Does anyone have one? I'd love to give it a try.

My mom just recently found a recipe for pumpkin cheesecake bars. I will see if I can get the recipe from her and post it here. It sounded really good. Last year she bought a pumpkin roll from the local bakery. It was fantastic!!

Thou pumpkin-cheesecake is yummy, what's wrong with a good New York Cheesecake? I make one every Thanksgiving and take it to my sister's house. It goes faster than do the pumpkin pies. :D

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

here's one I have been going to try, sounds good and easy.
personally, I think I might leave out the almonds.

Pumpkin Mousse

3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 c. honey or fine bar sugar
2 c. cooked, drained mashed pumpkin or 1 can #1 size pumpkin
2 tbsp. brandy
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves
1 c. almonds
1 c. whip cream plus some for topping

Beat cheese and honey. Mix in pumpkin. Add brandy and spices.
Whip cream until stiff; fold into mix. Pour into 8 inch springform pan.
Freeze until firm. Top with whip cream and almonds.

Good Luck!

This is my favorite fall dessert. I'm not crazy about pumpkin pie, so we have this instead. I got this from a lady that I go to church with.

Punpkin Crunch Cake

Layer1- 1(16oz.)can pumpkin
1(12oz.)can evaporated milk
3 eggs
3/4C. sugar
1/2tsp. cinnamon
Mix well & pour into 9x13 well greasd baking pan.

Layer2- Sprinkle 1 box(dry)butter recipe cake mix over layer#1.

Layer3- Melt 1 1/2 sticks butter or margarine, pour evenlt over cake mix.

Layer4- Top with 1 1/2C. chopped pecans.
Bake at 350 deg. for 1 hour. Cool completely.

Layer5- 2C. powdered sugar
8oz. cream cheese, softened
8oz. cool whip, thawed
Mix well & spread on cooled cake. Keep refrigerated. Eat & enjoy.

You wanted something different - how about a carrot pie? Tastes kinda like a punkin pie, just a little lighter and sweeter - it's awesome!

CARROT PIE

2 cups carrots, cooked, pureed
2 eggs
1 cup evaporated milk
¼ cup soft butter
½ tsp.each, nutmeg & cinnamon
¼ tsp. ginger
1 9” pie crust
Sugared pecans

Preheat oven to 375. Mix everything together, and pour into a 9" pie shell. Top with sugared pegans. Bake for 45-5 minutes, til knife inserted comes out clean.

Sugared pecans: Melt 1T butter, stir in 1T brown sugar, and ½ cup pecan haves; stir til coated.

marmalady, thanks for this one. intruiging idea that I must try.

EDITED FOR QUESTION
that 2 cups of carrots -- is that before or after pureeing? I think I'd hafta disassemble a different amount depending on your answer.

I'm trying this one this year (from Gale Gand)

Maple Bourbon Sweet Potato Pie
When it comes to fall vegetable-based pies, some individuals fancy pumpkin, while others (like me) are die-hard sweet potato fans. Both are autumnal, both marry well with the flavors of maple, spirits, and spice; but using sweet potatoes results in a denser, creamier texture. Originally created for an article in Fine Cooking magazine, this dessert is always one of my Thanksgiving pie offerings. I can't tell you how many people have said as they down the last crumb, "and I thought I didn't like sweet potato pie."

This is like a sweet potato custard, and you will want to take care not to overbake the filling. Check it frequently as it nears the end of its baking time and remember that it will set up a bit as it cools.

Serve this pie with some lightly whipped cream or, for a slightly twisted take on a tried-and-true Thanksgiving combo, garnish with some marshmallow fluff.

1 (9-inch) basic pie crust, baked blind, recipe follows
2 large or 3 medium sized sweet potatoes
4 tablespoons (2 ounces) butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup cream
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup bourbon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg (preferably freshly grated)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
A few grinds black pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Pierce the sweet potatoes at each end with a fork and place them on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast until the potatoes are soft, about 1 hour, turning them over halfway through the baking time. Cool, peel, and put the flesh through a food mill or mash smoothly with a potato masher. You should have 2 cups of puree.

Turn oven down to 375 degrees F.

Combine the puree with all the remaining ingredients for the filling. Whisk until well combined and smooth. Pour the filling into the partially baked pie shell. Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, until the filling is just barely set. When the rim of the pie plate is nudged, the very center of the filling should barely move.

Cool the pie to room temperature. It can be made several hours or up to 1 day in advance.

Basic Pie Crust:
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon sugar
4 ounces (8 tablespoons) chilled butter, cut into pieces
4 ounces (1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons) chilled vegetable shortening, cut until pieces
1/4 to 1/2 cup cold water, as needed
Place the flour, salt and sugar in the bowl of a food processor with a steel blade. Pulse to combine.

Add the chilled butter and shortening; pulse until the fat is evenly cut in and the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Remove to a mixing bowl.

Working quickly, gradually add enough cold water, while tossing and stirring with a fork, until the dough just begins to come together. Divide the dough into 2 even portions, flatten into rounds, wrap in plastic, and chill for a few hours or overnight.

Roll out 1 portion and fit it into a 9-inch pie pan. Crimp edges. Reserve remaining portion for another use. Line shell with foil or parchment paper and fill with dry rice or beans. Blind bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and beans before filling.

There's a recipe for a triple layer cheesecake in this month's Women's Day magazine.........pumpkin, milk and semi-sweet chocolate. I made it a few weeks ago (though I only did one layer of chocolate and substituted a layer of plain instead). It was delicious. The recipe called for low-fat cream cheese and sour cream. I used the full-fat versions b/c that's what I had on hand.

Good luck!

Sorry, mudbug - shoulda been clearer - the 2 cups is of the puree itself. I've also found it helpful to let the puree drain a little bit in a sieve to lose some of the extra liquid, then measure it out.

At this time of year I make pumpkin bread. I add whatever I have on hand ie. craisins, raisins, walnuts, dates, etc. Easy to make and it's good. I just took some to a covered dish lunch and it was a tasty dessert that was not overly sweet.

A few years ago, we thought we'd do something different. Figured we'd be tired of pumpkin pie. So, we decided to make sweet potato pie. Actually made it from scratch. We sure looked forward to eating something different. Come time for dessert, we all had a good laugh because that sweet potato pie tasted just like pumpkin pie.

Wow! Thanks everyone. I can't believe all the great ideas you've already given me. The pumpkin mousse sounds delish and I'm really intrigued by the carrot pie recipe. I can't wait to get cooking. I'd start now but I have to go to work. Hmm. . . Cooking - Work - Cooking - Work - Cooking - You know I could call in sick. . . But then I'd have no way to pay for the ingredients so I guess I'd better head off to work.

Goodweed, you sound like my sister. A couple years ago in my search for pumpkin pie alternatives I made a pumpkin cheesecake. I thought it was delicious. My family (sister in particular) thought it had a personality disorder - it couldn't decide what it was. And I quote "pumpkin pie? Cheesecake? Pick one!" (i.e. My sister just doesn't want anything like pumpkin interfering with her cheesecake. :) ) Oh well, the search continues. . . but isn't that what life is all about? The search?

I love lots of pumpkin ideas - I love all winter squash. You can really use any winter squash in these recipes, especially butternut, sweet dumpling, and acorn. I have also made Pumpkin Ravioli - a pumpkin cheesecake filling into wonton wrappers, baked until crispy and served warm with a creme anglaise - wonderful!

Pumpkin Bread Pudding
4 Eggs
3 c Whole milk
1 lb Mashed pumpkin
1 c Brown sugar
1 ts Cinnamon
1/2 ts Grated nutmeg
1/2 ts Salt
1 ts Vanilla
6 c Bread pieces (can also use croissants), torn
1 c Dark raisins
Boubon sauce:
1/2 c Unsalted butter
1 Egg
1 c Sugar
2 tb Whole milk
1/2 c Bourbon

Preheat oven to 350F. Generously butter a 2 quart baking dish.
1. Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add milk and beat again. Stir in pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and vanilla.
2.Add bread pieces to the milk mixture and press with your hands to submerge bread in the milk mixture. Set the mixture aside for at least 30 minutes, or overnight if time allows.
3.After soaking, break up the chunks of bread. Add raisins to the bread mixture. Fill the baking dish with bread pudding mixture and bake for 1 hour, or until pudding is set. Let stand for several minutes before serving warm or cold with hot bourbon sauce.
4.For the bourbon sauce, melt butter in a bowl set over hot but not boiling water. Combine egg, sugar and milk in a small bowl and beat until light colored. Add egg mixture to butter and beat with a whisk over hot water until sugar dissolves and sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Add bourbon and stir. Serve over bread pudding and ice cream.

Pumpkin Creme Brulee
1 1/4 c Whipping cream
1/2 Vanilla bean, split
5 Egg yolks
6 tb Sugar
1 ts Grated nutmeg
1/2 c Solid pack pumpkin
2 tb Orange liqueur
1/4 c Packed brown sugar
1/2 ts Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F.
1.Bring cream to boil in heavy saucepan. Remove from heat. Add vanilla bean. Let stand 20 minutes; discard vanilla bean.
2.Whisk together yolks, 6 tablespoons sugar and nutmeg. Add pumpkin and orange liqueur and mix until smooth. Whisk cream mixture slowly into the pumpkin mixture.
3.Divide custard among 6, 1/2 cup ramekins. Arrange ramekins in heavy large baking pan with a bain marie. Bake until sides are set but centers move slightly when shaken, about 20 minutes. Remove from water bath and cool. Refrigerate one hour.
4.Sift brown sugar and cinnamon into small bowl. Sprinkle over custards. Broil 8 inches from heat source until sugar begins to melt, watching carefully, about 30 seconds. This can also be done with a hand held kitchen torch. Serve immediately.

Pumpkin Mousse
10 oz Canned pumpkin
1/2 c Sour cream
1/2 c Cream cheese
1 c Sugar
1/2 ts Salt
2 ts Pumpkin pie spice
1 ts Ground ginger
2 Egg yolks
1 1/2 c Whipping cream
2 Egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
Crystallized ginger, finely chopped

1.In a large stainless steel bowl over a hot-water bath, combine pumpkin, sour cream, cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and ginger.
2.Heat water to boiling, beating mixture with hand-held mixer until ingredients are fluffy. Add egg yolks and beat for 3 minutes. Remove mixture from heat and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
3.Whip cream with 2 tablespoons sugar. Reserve 1/3 of whipped cream for garnish. Fold the whipping cream into the chilled pumpkin mixture, then carefully fold in egg whites. Chill for 4-6 hours. Top with remaining whipped cream and finely chopped crystallized ginger.

Pumpkin Empanadas
Pastry:
2 c Unbleached white flour
2 tb Sugar
2 ts Baking powder
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 c Shortening
1/4 c Butter, cold
1 tb Brandy
3 tb Milk
Filling:
16 oz Canned pumpkin puree
3/4 c Brown sugar
2 ts Cinnamon
1/4 ts Freshly grated nutmeg
1 Egg
2 ts Vanilla
1 Egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water for glaze
2 tb Sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Pastry:
1.Sift together first 4 ingredients. Cut in the shortening and butter using a pastry blender or 2 knives. The mixture should resemble coarse meal.
2.Combine brandy and milk, and drizzle over flour mixture, stirring with a fork to distribute. Do not over mix. Form into a flat disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes.

Filling:
1.Blend together the pumpkin, brown sugar, spices, egg and vanilla. Mix until creamy.

Assembly:
1.When dough is chilled, roll out thinly on a floured board or pastry cloth. Cut into 4 or 5-inch circles.
2.Place 2 tb pumpkin filling on the lower half of each dough circle. Fold over top half. Press the edges together with a fork. Brush tops with egg wash and place on a baking sheet. Bake 15-18 minutes, or until golden.
3.While still warm, sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. Serve warm.
**You can also bake these ahead of time and then warm them in the oven for 8-10 minutes before serving.

The only other pumpkin cohort in my family is the oldest son. Fortunately, he can eat an entire pie in less than 24 hours. But kansasgirl's Pumpkin Bread Pudding, with Bourbon Sauce to boot...now that's one I bet I can sneak in!!! The Creme Brulee looks pretty good, too!

Thanks to ALL of you for these wonderful recipes!

Thank you Kansasgirl for all the delicious sounding recipes. I can't wait to try some of them out - especially the Pumpkin Bread Pudding. I adore good bread pudding & yours sounds delicious.

Here's a recipe I just found in "Cuisine at Home" magazine. It also sound really promising:Sweet Potato Bread Pudding

Sweet Potato Bread Pudding

Tip: To allow the milk mixture to soak into the bread, make the base for this pudding the night before you plan to bake it. Makes about 4 cups.

For the Pudding -
Whisk together:
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup whiskey, optional
3 eggs, beaten
1 T baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup dried cranberries
Zest of 1 orange, minced

ADD:
4 cups French bread cubed

COOK AND PUREE; FOLD INTO BREAD MIXTURE:
1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped into 1" chunks

FOR THE STREUSEL -
Combine, Stir in:
1 cup pecans, chopped
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

1. Whisk pudding ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. Add bread cubes and stir gently to coat; cover and chill overnight.
3. Cook sweet potatoes the next day in boiling water until tender; about 20 minutes. Drain, transfer to a food processor, and puree until smooth. 4. Fold sweet potatoes into chilled bread mixture.
5. Combine pecans, brown sugar, and flour for the streusel in a separate bowl, stir in melted butter.

Preheat oven to 400, coat a 1 qt. casserole dish with nonstick spray. Transfer bread pudding mixture to the dish and sprinkle with streusel. Bake for 30 minutes, or until knife tip inserted in the center comes out clean.

Roasted Pumpkin Wedges in Cream (Martha Stewart)

1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
2 tbs butter in small pieces
4 - 5 inch wedges of pumpkin, skin on.
1/2 cup heavy cream plus more for whipping

Oven 350. Clean wedges of pumpkin with damp cloth. Mix cinnamon, allspice and sugar in small bowl, set aside. Butter a 2 1/2 quart shallow baking dish and place wedges inside. Pour cream over wedges. Place butter pieces over wedges. Sprinkle with sugar mixture and place in oven.
Bake until golden and tender, about 1 hour. Remove from oven, set aside 15 minutes. Serve with whipped cream.

You've heard of chili cookoffs, abrbecue cookoffs, etc. I invite all of you to come to SSM, MI, and help me convince our city that we need a pumpkin cookoff, to help the United Way, of course.

Ok, I know, I know. You're all as broke as me and can't afford the trip, or take off the time from work. But it would be loads of fun, cooking with all of you. :D

These recipes are amazing. I wish I had the time and resources to make all of them. And I'm not just sauing that to be polite (except I couldn't make the recipes with the Bourbon. Can't stand the flavor of alcoholic beverages, and don't use them anyway because of my own beliefs. But I can understand how the flavor could make the recipe more rich and delightful for those who do enjoy it.)

I copied every one of them into my file for recipes made by others (got to give credit where credit is due :) )

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom