Pumpkin Pie help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glitterixx

Assistant Cook
hi, you know how when you make pumpkin pie and the graham cracker crumbs will mold into a solid pie crust after the pie is baked? Is there a way to keep the crust from doing that? Like how the crust for cheesecake usually is.

Well, let me think for a minute - I'm not a baker but I'm going to guess totally here :oops: LOL

I've never done a pumpkin pie in a graham cracker crust - I always use a regular crust - but the way the graham cracker crust is on a cheesecake is due to the shape of the pan - spring form pan to be exact. A cheesecake has straight sides; a pie crust has sides that slant out.

It could be also that the graham cracker crust you are talking about is already bought in the pie shell and formed already.

Does this help? Do we need to call in the true experts?

Oh, I meant I wanted my pumpkin pie crust to have the texture like a cheesecake pie crust would have. I'm not sure how to describe it. Like I want the graham cracker crumbs to stay crumby, not like how they sell the pre-made pumkin pies at the grocery store. Am I making sense?

yes, you are making perfect sense - :D

It could be that the cheesecake crust has nuts in it or could it be that the crust is made with vanilla wafers versus graham crackers?:

5 oz Pecans (approx.)
3/4 c Vanilla Wafer Crumbs
1/4 c Confectioners Sugar
1/4 c Melted Butter

Chop nuts very finely in food grinder or food processor. Should have 1 cup of ground nuts. Cookies should also be chopped very finely.

Combine crumbs, chopped nuts and sugar, and mix thoroughly; drizzle
with melted butter and mix lightly. Press onto bottom and 1 1/2 inches up side of springform pan.

Note 1:
Requires about 25 vanilla wafers to make 3/4 cups
crumbs.

The only other thing I can think of is there is not as much butter as is usually called for - that would make it dryer and more crumbly. I need help from a baker!!!!! :|

Back
Top Bottom