Pumpkin Pie Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman1

Senior Cook
It is my intent to make pumpkin Pie this year instead of giving $4-6 a week to Mrs Smiths.
My first question is whether it is worth it to buy pumpkins and to make the filling or should I skip that step and get canned pumpkin.
If going to the raw pumpkin is worth it, and freezing pumpkin dosent ruin it, how would you freeze it? Raw, made up as pumpkin filling, or in the crust ready to bake?

I've never made pumpkin pie, but I make pumpkin bread (with chocolate chips) year-round. I always used the canned Libby's Pumpkin (the pure pumpkin, not the pie filling).

I imgaine it would be much easier to use the canned. I don't know how the results would differ b/t canned and fresh.

Good luck.

Cook's Illustrated did one of their famous 'studies' on canned versus fresh pumpkin for pies, and their results were that folks actually liked the canned better!

If you want to use a fresh pumpkin just for the experience, go right ahead; I'm not trying to discourage you at all! In fact, I think everyone should try it - once! :D You've got to get the flesh out of the pumpkin, cook it, puree it, and cook it down some more so it won't be so watery. I've done it, and frankly, to me, it's just not worth the effort when the quality of the canned is just fine.

I agree with marmalady. The canned pumpkin produces very good results. With all of the other work involved in a Thanksgiving dinner, it's the way to go. Do get the Libby's, or another name-brand, though. I've noticed a difference between generic and Libby's. Have fun!

Downunder in the land of OZ we use the Gramma variety of pumpkin.
Beautiful texture, absolutely unlike the smooth custardy style of pie that the canned or other normal eating varieties make.
The Gramma is a rather large pumpkin, deep orange colour, not normally used for general cooking, sometimes grown for fodder.
But hey, a superb pie pumpkin.
Mainly only us oldies that make it these days. We put mixed spice and lemon juice for flavouring. (maybe you guys do too) No canned milk either as I have seen in some pumpkin pie recipes.

I used to cut/chop and boil all my own pumpkins to make my pie from scratch. The biggest problem with doing it this way is that you can very easily get different consistencies of the "raw" pumpkin. I have now switched to canned pumpkin and the first time I never told my family...they never noticed the difference. Hence I now only used canned. This coming weekend is our Canadian Thanksgiving and so I can actually make time in the kitchen so my wife can enjoy a break from the kitchen. I generally work weird shifts so she ends up doing more of the cooking than I do. 8)

you all have sorta convinced me, i will use canned
i was just looking for something to feed to my new food processor :LOL:

I have always used canned. Much better consistency. My aunty made pumpking pie with fresh pumpkins once and it was, how shall I say it? Fibrous. Yeah, it was fibrous. In other words, a bit stringy.

BTW, there are two canned pumpkin products. One is just the pureed stuff. The other has spices and other junk already added. You want the pureed stuff so you can add your own spices.

Back
Top Bottom