RHUBARB - an overlooked flavor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcoot

Senior Cook
Someone gave my Mother -in-law a Rhubarb plant some 40 years ago, which she planted and then ignored. I got it about 15 years ago and did much the same until B/W came up with a couple of great recipes. Far from the overrcooked tan slime my Mother used to serve as rhubarb when I was a kid, these are truly delicious and different, in my (never humble!) opinion.

EASY RHUBARB DESSERT

4 cups Rhubarb, coarsley chopped
1 3 oz okg Raspberry Gelatin
1/3 cup Sugar
1 18 oz pkg White, yellow or Orange cake mix. (The orange mix makes a delightfully unique flavor -ol' coot comment)

1 cup water
1/3 cup melted butter

Place rhubarb in greased 9x13 baking dish.

Sprinkle with gelatin, sugar, & cake mix.

Pour water gently and evenly over dry ingredients.

Drizzle with butter

Bake @ 360F for an hour.

Great with a scoop of ice cream

Makes about 16 servings.

STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB CRUMB PIE

Single crust pie pastry from your favorite recipe +
Filling:
1 egg
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp AP flour
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups rhubarb chopped into 1/2 pieces.
1 pint fresh strawberries, halved.
Topping:
3/4 cup AP flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup Oats, quick cooking or rolled
1/2 cup COLD butter

Put pastry in pan, trim & flute.

In bowl, beat egg, add & mix sugar, flour, vanilla.

Fold in rhubarb and strawberries,

Pour into crust.

Combine dry topping ingredients in bowl and cut in cold butter ubril crumbly.

Sprinkle evenly over filling.

Bake @ 400F for 10 min, reduce to 350F for about 35 min or until crust is golden and filling bubbly.

(Y'gotta serve this a la mode - mmmm - - old coot, again)

Last edited:
Growing up in Kansas, we had tons of rhubarb on Grandma's farm. We cooked it with a bit of cinnamon and sugar, used it in pies, cakes, cookies, and as a topping on ice cream. I love to roast it on the grill until just barely tender and then slice it thin and add it to salads for a brigth flavor. I have tons of recipes if anyone needs them.

Rhubarb Custard Bars
Crust:
2 c AP flour
1/4 c sugar
1 c cold butter

1.In a bowl combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13x9 in baking pan. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes

Filling:
2 c sugar
7 tb AP flour
1 c whipping cream
3 eggs, beaten
5 c Rhubarb, fresh or frozen, thawed and drained, chopped finely

1.Combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes or until custard is set. Cool.

Topping:
6 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 c sugar
1/2 ts vanilla
1 c whipping cream, whipped

1.Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract until smooth; fold in whipped cream. Spread over top. Cover and chill. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.

when i researched, then found and visited my dad's boyhood home in ireland, i was told by the current owners that the patch of rhubarb in the garden was planted back in the 20's by my grandfather, and it had been supplying the families that lived there ever since. if i ever get the chance, i'm gonna smuggle some to the u.s. to re-plant in my garden...

Shhhhh, don't tell anyone Bucky but I've known "people" who did that with grape plants from Greece!!!

<<whispering>> ok pdswife. >>>>>

my neighbor has macedonian grape vines, tomato and pepper plants. he gave me some of the tomatoes last year. an interesting heirloom variety, like brandywines.

my grandma gros rhubarb in her backyard garden.... it's almost like a small orchard back there... she grows pears, apples, rhubarb, rhaspberries, and squash I think. I used to come over and we would make rhubarb pies, but sometimes the rhubarb was just so good that we added a bit of sugar, and ate it chilled straight from the bowl.

I planted rhubarb several years ago and I have shared roots with family. I freeze rhubarb every year ans I just got over 6qts in the freezer. thanks for the great recipes, I needed some new ones.

I LOVE RHUBARB.

I now live in Fl and miss the two plants that I had in my back yard, in Indiana. Thank you all for the recipes. I can dream can't I.
:question: I live in northern Fl. Is it too hot to grow it here? Anyone have any ideas?

bevkile said:
I LOVE RHUBARB.

I now live in Fl and miss the two plants that I had in my back yard, in Indiana. Thank you all for the recipes. I can dream can't I.
:question: I live in northern Fl. Is it too hot to grow it here? Anyone have any ideas?

I live about midway down in Fl. and was told it wouldn't grow here. We had a big patch up north and sure do miss it. The stuff they sell in the stores is terrible, big and thick. We always picked them while they were not too thick.

cantcook said:
I'll cook it down just like a turnip root, with a little bacon salt and pepper.

The pies sound good, but I'm not big on sweets.

Let us know how that turns out. I have never heard of anyone doing anything savory with rhubarb. I really don't think anyone could call rhubarb SWEET though!

We do EVERYTHING with rhubarb, pies, cookies, muffins, cakes, crisp and make rhubarb mush for our toast too. The trick is to use the GOOD rhubarb (the green and red stuff not the all red stalks) and to catch it before it grows to mammoth proportions.

I have already harvested a fair chunk from my garden. I think if you put it in a warm spot with some nicely acid soil and water it regularly (if you are in a drier climate) you should be able to grow it well. It DOES prefer acid soil though.

We have a couple of rhubarb plants that we've already harvested from this year. Mom made some rhubarb muffins, but I wasn't very fond of them. I'd like to try the ones you posted, Old Coot. Thanks for the recipes!

We always had rhubarb up north, but I also live in Florida, now. Central Florida to be (sort of) exact. Anyway, I have been told that it doesn't do well here, but haven't attempted to grow it. I'd have to find a source for plants if I were to try. Anyway, the stuff they sell in our local supermarket, is prepackaged, can't get a look at it, and the price is outrageous for the amount in the pkg. I would sure like a good homemade strawberry rhubarb pie.

I just searched for growing details on Rhubarb. A cool weather plant, it can be grown in warmer areas.

One method that sounded plausible is to grow from seed,(as an annual) planted in August, enably harvest in March through May. (Park Seed Co. in So. Carolina)

Some have good luck by growing in semi- or even full shade. It MUST be kept moist, but excess water will cause root rot, so good drainage is imperative.

Since "micro climates" can vary tremendously, it might be worthwhile to try growing rhubarb even in some of the warmer areas, such a central Florida.

Judging by all the interesting recipes folks have posted on this thread, plus the plethora of them on the web, it seems well worth the effort.

Oldcoot...
I am going to do your STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB CRUMB PIE and the EASY RHUBARB DESSERT.

I could not find an Orange Cake mix in my local market. (the only one in town)

They did have a Betty Crocker, Lemon Supreme. Do you think that would work? I'm not going to do it until the 23rd for a Pot Luck dinner.

I'll do the pie tomorrow.

I plan on selecting the small tender stalks. Would it be advantages to remove he strings from the outer covering?

I have never did any thing with the Rhubarb. I have plant that is about four foot square and 30 inches tall. Every year it gets beautiful, admired by every one and ends up being hauled to the dump!

I have resolved to do something with it this year.

TIA
Charlie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom