Rhubarb & Berry Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pati

Assistant Cook
If you like Rhubarb, you'll love this recipe ... it's schrum-shuss! I had been searching for a good cobbler recipe forever ... no luck ... so I put my own version together with a bit of help from the net and my own experimenting ... if you try it, I'd be interested in knowing your opinion ... any questions email :)

Rhubarb & Berry Cobbler
1-1 1.5 lbs Rhubarb
¾ to 1 full Cup Splenda

Wash and slice lengthwise (quarter slice if thick stalks), then cut the Rhubarb into ½” pieces) add the Splenda (more or less to taste) and cook on low heat on top of stove for about 20 minutes, stirring constantly until it becomes puree, and set aside. (note: okay to prepare puree in bulk, then freeze in 2 cup containers to save time for later use).

1- 1 1.5 lbs Strawberries
3 pints Blueberries
2 TBS Cornstarch
½ tsp Cinnamon

Rinse berries, remove stems and soggy berries; slice strawberries. Place fruit in a very large bowl. Add Splenda, cornstarch and cinnamon and gently toss (stop here if prep for overnight). Spread ½ of the fruit mixture in the bottom of deep-dish glass pie plate, and then spread the Rhubarb puree, followed by the remaining fruit mixture and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 deg.

2 Cups all purpose Flour
½ Cup Splenda
2 TB baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
¾ stick of Unsalted Butter – diced & chilled
8 oz heavy cream or buttermilk
1 large egg
¼ Cup melted Unsalted Butter for drizzling
2 TB Turbinado (raw) sugar – sprinkle on top

In large bowl sift together flour, Splenda, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter using pastry blender, then your fingers. The butter should be coated with flour and resemble crumbs. In a separate bowl, wisk cream and egg together, and then add to flour mixture; stir to incorporate, do not overwork the sticky dough.

Tear small walnut-size pieces and randomly cover the top of the fruit mixture evenly leaving a border around the edge of dish for spreading. Drizzle the surface with the melted butter and sprinkle Turbinado sugar on top (you can find Turbinado sugar, in a health foods store). Set on a cookie sheet and bake 35-45 minutes until top is golden and fruit juices bubbling.

Serve warm with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream or dollop of whipped cream; serves 8-10

Note: Increase berries by an add’l pound (give or take) and use a 9x13 lasagna baking dish without increasing any other ingredients – serves 12-14;

Note: Save 90 minutes prep time by cooking the rhubarb puree and cleaning/preparing the berries and refrigerate the night before.

Attachments

• aRhubarb-BerryCobbler.jpg
    aRhubarb-BerryCobbler.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 243
Last edited by a moderator:
Pati, this looks great! I think I will use raspberries though as that is what I have on hand.

I am also going to use regular sugar, would the amount be the same as with the Splenda?

Pati said:
If you like Rhubarb, you'll love this recipe ... it's schrum-shuss! I had been searching for a good cobbler recipe forever ... no luck ... so I put my own version together with a bit of help from the net and my own experimenting ... if you try it, I'd be interested in knowing your opinion ... any questions email :)

Rhubarb & Berry Cobbler

1-1 1.5 lbs Rhubarb
1/2 to ¾ Cup Splenda

Wash and slice lengthwise (quarter slice if thick stalks), then cut the Rhubarb into ½” pieces) add the Splenda (more or less to taste) and cook on low heat on top of stove for about 20 minutes, stirring constantly until it becomes puree, and set aside. (note: okay to prepare puree in bulk, then freeze in 2 cup containers to save time for later use).

1- 1 1.5 lbs Strawberries
3 pints Blueberries
1/2 Cup Splenda
2 TBS Cornstarch
½ tsp Cinnamon

Rinse berries, remove stems and soggy berries; slice strawberries. Place fruit in a very large bowl. Add Splenda, cornstarch and cinnamon and gently toss (stop here if prep for overnight). Spread ½ of the fruit mixture in the bottom of deep-dish glass pie plate, and then spread the Rhubarb puree, followed by the remaining fruit mixture and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 deg.

2 Cups all purpose Flour
½ Cup Splenda
2 TB baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
¾ stick of Unsalted Butter – diced & chilled
8 oz heavy cream or buttermilk
1 large egg
¼ Cup melted Unsalted Butter for drizzling
2 TB Turbinado (raw) sugar – sprinkle on top

In large bowl sift together flour, Splenda, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter using pastry blender, then your fingers. The butter should be coated with flour and resemble crumbs. In a separate bowl, wisk cream and egg together, and then add to flour mixture; stir to incorporate, do not overwork the sticky dough.

Tear small walnut-size pieces and randomly cover the top of the fruit mixture evenly leaving a border around the edge of dish for spreading. Drizzle the surface with the melted butter and sprinkle Turbinado sugar on top (you can find Turbinado sugar, in a health foods store). Set on a cookie sheet and bake 35-45 minutes until top is golden and fruit juices bubbling.

Serve warm with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream or dollop of whipped cream; serves 8-10

Note: Increase berries by an add’l pound (give or take) and use a 9x13 lasagna baking dish without increasing any other ingredients – serves 12-14;

Note: Save 90 minutes prep time by cooking the rhubarb puree and cleaning/preparing the berries and refrigerate the night before.
you can substitute blueberries and strawberries for rasberries or blackberries or use them all --- it works!

Attachments

• aRhubarb-BerryCobbler.jpg
    aRhubarb-BerryCobbler.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 217
Alix said:
How about sugar for splenda? Same amounts?
hi Alix, yes! same amount of Sugar to Splenda ... i'm a diabetic, so I have to cut out the Sugar where ever I can ... except the Turbinado sugar at the end ... it would not be the same if this were substituted ... a really scrum-shuss dessert, you will not be disappointed! Pati

This looks like something I will definately have to try! My father grew up on a farm so there were things that he ate so frequently as a kid that they were not allowed in our house growing up and rhubarb was one of them. The others were beets, asparagus, and a few other vegetables... My wife and I love rhubarb and this looks perfect! Thanks Pati!

Back
Top Bottom