Savory Mini Pies - Tips, Ideas and Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Philly Cheese Steak Pies

Cooked up some minute steaks and chopped up the meat, then I put cut up red and yellow bell peppers and red onion in the pan the meat was in and cooked until just tender. Next I cut out the circles for the top and bottom crusts out of sandwich bread and buttered the outside of each piece.
In each pie I piled in meat, peppers, onion, and mozzarella cheese. They cooked about seven minutes I think. You could use whatever you have on hand. I am sure you could use any bell peppers, and some would say you should use cheese wiz or some other kind of cheese, but like I said I used what I had in the house.

Pizza Pies

Hamburger
Chopped Onions
Chopped Pepperoni
Mozzarella Cheese, grated

Mix all together in bowl with marinara sauce to moisten. Preheat pie maker, place a piece of parchment paper in the bottom, add bottom crust, 1/3 cup of pizza mix, add top crust and top parchment paper. Close and bake until top is golden.

PF's Spicy Beef Pies

Spicy Beef Pies

2 pounds of ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
3 tablespoons jalapenos, seeded and diced
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tsp yellow curry powder
2 tablespoons flour.

1 recipe of Pie crust for tops and bottoms

Sauté onion and jalapenos in 1 tablespoon each Grapeseed oil and butter until onions are soft. Stir in the soy sauce, add in the ground beef and cook til done. Taste for seasoning. Sprinkle over yellow curry powder to taste, we used 2 teaspoons. Sprinkle over about 2 tablespoons of flour, stir in and allow to thicken. Allow to cool before making pies. 1/3 cup filling each. Bake about 10-15 min.

Spinach and Bacon Quiche

8 ounces spinach, wilted in bacon grease and drained
¼ pound of bacon cooked and crumbled
4 eggs whisked with 1/2 cup half & half, sea salt and fresh ground pepper and a grind of nutmeg
4 ounces Swiss cheese, grated

Lined the bottom cups on the preheated pie maker with puff pastry. 2 ounces of spinach in each, topped with grated Swiss (about 1 ounce each), ladle in the egg mixture and baked until set with the lid down, about ten minutes, top with the bacon crumbles 10 minutes in.

Chef Munky's Boys - Taco Pies

These were made with leftover taco fixings.
Can use tortillas for crust or Pie crust.
in bottom crust layer in:
taco meat seasoned already
then taco sauce
spoon of refried beans
put in chopped onions
put in chopped black olives
added fiesta cheese
top crust
(they were full too)
baked 8 min for tortilla crust and 10 min pastry crust

Toasted Raviolis

Toasted Raviolis

my own pasta recipe. They will be 4x4" Large I know. Used the bottom crust cutter for the base and tops. But hey they're good and who wants to get up anyways for seconds.

Once the dough is rolled out, pieces are cut. Set them aside.

I made the filling using cooked Hot Italian sausage, cooled and set aside.

Basil, Parmesan cheese, mixed in with Mozzarella cheese.
Set it aside.

In a medium sized bowl I had some seasoned up bread crumbs. Kosher salt, Paprika, Parmesan cheese, fresh ground pepper.

In another bowl whip up 4 large eggs.

Preheat the pie maker

Take the bottom piece and brush on the whipped eggs. Add the filling and cheese. Place the tops on and seal them up good.

Dip them in the egg mix, then the seasoned bread crumbs. Place them in the pie maker.
It will take about 15-20 minutes to get a nice golden color top and bottom on them. They will puff up just a bit while cooking.

I made about a dozen (Don't hold me to that, wasn't paying attention to the count, impossible to do with them getting grabbed up and eaten)

8 ounces spinach, wilted in bacon grease and drained
¼ pound of bacon cooked and crumbled
4 eggs whisked with 1/2 cup half & half, sea salt and fresh ground pepper and a grind of nutmeg
4 ounces Swiss cheese, grated

Lined the bottom cups on the preheated pie maker with puff pastry. 2 ounces of spinach in each, topped with grated Swiss (about 1 ounce each), ladle in the egg mixture and baked until set with the lid down, about ten minutes, top with the bacon crumbles 10 minutes in.
The Swiss Chard 4 cheese tart I made on the weekend could be adjusted to be similar to these. I'm going to try it using the same pastry I used for the tart yesterday. Not today, but next weekend.

These recipes look amazing! What kind of pie maker are you using? The only pie maker I've ever used was cast iron that you put in the campfire!

We (some of us) have the Breville Personal Pie...we need some new blood in these threads, I'm running out of ideas to toss in a pie shell...lots of dessert pie recipes on another thread.

jabbur said:
These recipes look amazing! What kind of pie maker are you using? The only pie maker I've ever used was cast iron that you put in the campfire!

Oh yes. Hobo pies are great, but the pie maker folks are usually talking about is the Breville pie maker (electric). Mine makes four mini pies, but others have said that there is also one that makes two.

I think I replied right at the same time you did PF! Great minds...

Wow PF. Ravioli pies!!! I love that idea! I had baked ravioli tonight so may have to wait a little before trying this, but you know I will!

I have two--neither is Breville--both are still in their boxes. I got one in February and the other (the 2-pie one) at the Goodwill, complete with it's instructions. I have been waiting until I was more settled at the house in the city before I started playing with them. And, for the garden to give me produce with which to work!

I just need to get some pastry made so Shrek can play...I've been working until 7 pm most nights lately.

Guess I'll have to check that out. Seems like an easy dinner to make. Do you use regular pie crust for the recipes? Can you use things like biscuits or pizza dough?

Guess I'll have to check that out. Seems like an easy dinner to make. Do you use regular pie crust for the recipes? Can you use things like biscuits or pizza dough?

Regular pie crust, crescent rolls, biscuits, yeast dough...do have to use cupcake papers with a graham cracker crust.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom