Scone Additions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
I'm interested in some off the wall additions. I just saw a recipe for Bacon and Date scones that sound wonderful.

Are there more ideas out there?

When I was apprenticing at the catering company I often got scone duty. We didn't have any raisins or cranberries but we did have some fruit that needed to be used so I made a mango strawberry kiwi scone with chopped walnuts. Everyone loved them so much they went on the menu!

Ham and old cheddar are a classic. I also tried cooking small chunks of apple with butter and brown sugar just until sligthly soft and caramelized. I added some cinnamon to the scone batter. I wonder what chunks of barely ripe banana would be like?

I actually have to make some scones this week for Dad, but must stick to good old raisin. I love experimenting with them.

Hope that gives you a few inspirations!

When I was apprenticing at the catering company I often got scone duty. We didn't have any raisins or cranberries but we did have some fruit that needed to be used so I made a mango strawberry kiwi scone with chopped walnuts. Everyone loved them so much they went on the menu!

Ham and old cheddar are a classic. I also tried cooking small chunks of apple with butter and brown sugar just until sligthly soft and caramelized. I added some cinnamon to the scone batter. I wonder what chunks of barely ripe banana would be like?

I actually have to make some scones this week for Dad, but must stick to good old raisin. I love experimenting with them.

Hope that gives you a few inspirations!

Scribbling madly...thanks LP!

Just what I need, I get tired of blueberry scones all the time.

No problem! Hope they work for you. I would love to hear what you think of any you try.

There is some great stuff on The History of Scones. The site isn't set up very well (no links, you have to scroll down plain black text to find the recipes in the list) but I am sure it will inspire you! While I haven't actually made any of their recipes, I have gotten some ideas for sure.

Having a British/Irish background on my Mom's side and British/American/French on my Dad's, I have kind of grown up on Scones!

So did they sit around and eat scones to warm up? :rolleyes:
No LPB that is what the sporran is for, it counteracts frontal cold when wearing a kilt commando style, I'm sure you understand the ramifications of sitting on a freezing stone without a spider to distact you or as Burns put it.
Fair Fa' your honest Sonsie Face
Great Chieftain O' the sitting place
Aboon them a'ye take your place
Fa' t' stone wi chill your
Painch, tripe, or thairm:)

No LPB that is what the sporran is for, it counteracts frontal cold when wearing a kilt commando style, I'm sure you understand the ramifications of sitting on a freezing stone without a spider to distact you or as Burns put it....

Burns also said about winter:

Cauld blaws the wind frae east to west,
The drift is driving sairly;
Sae loud and shill's I hear the blast-
I'm sure it's winter fairly.

Chorus.-Up in the morning's no for me,
Up in the morning early;
When a' the hills are covered wi' snaw,

The birds sit chittering in the thorn,
A' day they fare but sparely;
And lang's the night frae e'en to morn-

Selkie Mate, Lang may yer lum reek, I was born on the 25th of Jan my dead Dad a romantic gave me a R Burns 1st edition 60yrs ago, it is a treasure beyond worth.
The Burns I quoted in the previous post was from his little known step brother M.I. Bum-Burns from his ode to Chill Blains:LOL:

Selkie mate, my Dad was an avid antique collector and dealer on of his prized pieces was a Scottish made flintlock which due to the subjugation of the Scot's is a rare find, I collect art, clocks,old motor bikes and record players.
Picture 329.jpg

DSCF0244.jpg

Is that ornate mantle clock carved wood or ceramic? It's lovely either way.

Do you ride that bike!? I love it! :):):)

I collect:
* books on breads, baking and ancient kitchens, practices and cuisine,
* foreign paper currency
* people as friends whom no one else wants to associate with... ( a very eclectic collection) :LOL:

Bolas and Selkie,
I took a class of 17th and 18th lyric poetry in university that, of course, covered a lot of Burn's work. Loved it!

Princess - I just remembered another one from catering - cranberry and chocolate chip. Craisins and chocolate chips with a teaspoon of lemon zest in the batter.

Bolas and Selkie,
I took a class of 17th and 18th lyric poetry in university that, of course, covered a lot of Burn's work. Loved it!

Princess - I just remembered another one from catering - cranberry and chocolate chip. Craisins and chocolate chips with a teaspoon of lemon zest in the batter.

I've got lots of Burns, but I'm a Service (Robert W.) type of girl.

Another written down.

Spinach and parmesan...for a savory?

I've got lots of Burns, but I'm a Service (Robert W.) type of girl.

Another written down.

Spinach and parmesan...for a savory?

I love Service as well. I do pretty well in all the poetry and literature categories on Jeopardy. But I guess as an English major I should.

Spinach and parmesan....hmm, sounds interesting. would you use fresh spinach leaves? I think I would...in fact I have some so may just try this!

Thanks, Princess! See, you got the idea now! ;)

I love Service as well. I do pretty well in all the poetry and literature categories on Jeopardy. But I guess as an English major I should.

Spinach and parmesan....hmm, sounds interesting. would you use fresh spinach leaves? I think I would...in fact I have some so may just try this!

Thanks, Princess! See, you got the idea now! ;)
add some pancetta coked crisp to that and you got me:LOL:
kades

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom