Sweet Potato pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman1

Senior Cook
So does sweet potato work the same way as pumkin? Is it better to use canned sweet potato?

Well, I think so! I often substitute 3 large baked sweet potatoes for one can of pumpkin filling with great success!

In my mind, there is little discernable difference, given equal spices, between a pumpkin pie and a sweet potatoe pie.

(Hmmm...I hear Southerners gathering in the distance....)

:shock:

I like sweet potato pies better. I think they have a creamier and richer texture. I personally would not use those out of the can; they come in a syrup that is just too sweet. Sweet potatoes are so easy to bake anyways. I am sure you have a great recipe, but I will send another that is a different twist on the traditional favorite.

Sweet Potato Pecan Pie
1 1/4 c Cooked sweet potatoes, mashed
1/4 c Brown sugar
1/4 c Granulated sugar
1 Egg, lightly beaten
1/4 c Heavy cream
1/4 ts Vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
3/4 ts Ground cinnamon
3/4 ts Allspice
3/4 ts Nutmeg
3 tb Butter, softened
1 Unbaked pie shell

Pecan Pie Filling:
1 1/4 c Sugar
1 1/4 c Dark corn syrup
3 Eggs, lightly beaten
3 tb Unsalted butter, softened
1/4 ts Vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
3/4 ts Ground cinnamon
1 1/4 c Chopped pecans

1.Combine sugar, syrup, eggs, butter, vanilla, salt and cinnamon in an electric mixing bowl and beat on low speed until syrup is opaque, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in pecans, mix well.

Bourbon Sauce:
1 1/2 c Heavy cream
1 c Milk
1 Package instant vanilla pudding mix
1/4 c Bourbon, brandy or rum
1 ts Vanilla extract

1.Combine cream and milk in a large mixing bowl. Slowly whip in pudding mix. Add bourbon and continue whipping. Add vanilla and whip until mixture is well blended to sauce consistency. Sauce should be made about one hour before use; it will thicken as it sits.

Preheat oven to 325F
1.Combine mashed sweet potatoes, sugars, egg, cream, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and butter in an electric mixing bowl and beat at medium speed until smooth, do not overmix.
2.To assemble pie, spoon sweet potato filling into the pie shell. Fill shell evenly to the top with with pecan filling.
3.Bake 1 1/2 hours or set in the center. Store pie at room temperature for 24 hours before serving. Serve with bourbon sauce.

I and my only remainnig daughter at home like sweet potatoes. My wife doesn't. But she loves pumpkin pie. I'm going to make a sweet potato pie this year and see if she'll try it. I know it's great, but...

Myself, I love sweet potatoes. I could eat them at every meal. They are very healthy, even for diabetics, due to the netrient content and natural fiber. I want to try something different though. I know this is a desert thread, but I need to be able to fix those wonderful orange tubors in a way that my wife will enjoy.

My idea is this, and maybe somone has already done it. I want to peel and slice the sweet potatoes into thin rounds, as if I were slicing potatoes for scalloped potatoes. I will then layer them into a casserole dish with cloves, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. For sweetening power, I can dupllicate the brown sugar by using a comhination of splenda and molassis. However, the two wond blend right to put between the layers. So, I think adding them to canned milk and heating would do the trick.

What i am trying to accomplish is a scalloped sweet potato casserole that tastes like pumpkin pie. If succesful, I can eat a yummy veggie that I love, without guilt or cheating on my own health, and serve something yummy for my wife as well.

If any of you has experience with a similar dish, please pass it along. Thanks.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I will try the orange peel suggestion. When I was a kid , in the days before micro planes my mom used to try to put lemon zest in sweet potato pies. But the pieces where big enough to see and almost to chew and that turned me off from the zesties

Audeo said:
Well, I think so! I often substitute 3 large baked sweet potatoes for one can of pumpkin filling with great success!

In my mind, there is little discernable difference, given equal spices, between a pumpkin pie and a sweet potatoe pie.

(Hmmm...I hear Southerners gathering in the distance....)

:shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: Audeo! I am really surprised! Can't tell the difference! lol.

The way my mother and grandmother and I bake sweet potato pies, you durn bet you would know the diff!

My family makes 2 crust sweet potato pies, much in the same way as you make apple pies. The only real difference is you boil sweet potatoes til almost tender, peel, slice, and use as the filling. Then we glaze the pie with evaporated milk mixed with sugar before baking.

Choclatechef! :LOL:

I KNEW there would be someone out there who would set me in my place! And may I say your sweet potato pie with a top crust is an incredible idea! (Never thought of that, but why not??!!!) I've got to try that!

(Please don't tell your mother and grandmother...they'd have my left ear lobe for such a statement...!)

:D Audeo!

I am glad you will try my mom and grandma's pie.

They won't say a word, I promise -- my mother died in 2000 and my grandma died in 1992.

My grandma used to bake and sell these pies to a local foundry for many years during the depression from the back of a truck!

I am sure she would be happy you are enjoying them, although this is the first time I gave out the recipe. Let's keep it in the "family".

I thought of this gratin recipe, Goodweed. Enjoy!

Sweet Potato Gratin
3/4 c Half and half (can use cream)
1/2 c Orange juice
1/4 c Firmly packed brown sugar
3 tb Butter
1 tb Grated orange peel
1 ts Ginger, ground
1 ts Salt
5 lb Sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced
1 tb Crystallized ginger, chopped finely
3 tb Honey (opt)
1/4 c Nuts, toasted, chopped (walnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds, peanuts, etc)

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 13 x 9 casserole.
1.Bring the orange juice, half and half, brown sugar, butter, grated orange peel, ground ginger, and salt to a boil in heavy large skillet over high heat, stirring constantly.
2.Place a layer of sliced sweet potatoes in the casserole. Pour some cream sauce over the top and sprinkle with crystallized ginger. Continue layering until all the potatoes are used, ending with cream sauce
3.Bake for 50 mins or until the potatoes are tender and the top is lightly browned and bubbling.
4.Remove from oven and drizzle potatoes with honey and sprinkle with nuts. Return to oven for additional 10 mins. Remove and let stand before serving. Is delicious served hot or chilled.

Kansasgirl; That recipe looks so very good. I am going to have to modify it though to severely reduce, or eliminate the added sugar, including the added sugar from the juice. I may have to go with orange zest, Splenda, and evaporated milk. I should be able to come up with a good approximation suitable for diabetics. I'm writing a diabetic cookbook that will be reviewed by a proffesional nutritionist before I complete it. Wish me luck with this recipe. It looks so good. Oh to be 16 years old again, with that ravenous appetite and super-high metabolizm that kept my wieght well below 100 pounds back then. (heavy sigh).

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I can tell the difference. The taste of a pumpkin pie I've had over the years is very different from sweet potato. Pumpkin pie has the spices, ginger mostly. Sweet potato has lots of lemon.

Back
Top Bottom