Thanksgiving Carrot Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Chief Longwind's carrot Pie

'I developed this recipe as I'm not supposed to eat sweet potatoes, winter squashes, or legumes. That means no pumpkin, sweet potato, or bean pie (heavy sigh).

This pie is a great substitution for pumpkin pie for anyone who's diet restrictions make pumpkin and winter squashes taboo. Its flavor is very, very close to pumpkin pie, but is more kidney friendly. The only real difference is that it has a more orange color. Enjoy.

Ingredients

• 1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
• ¾ cup white sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon ground ginger
• ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
• 2 eggs
• 15 Oz, mashed, cooked Carrot
• 1 (12 fluid ounce) can Evaporated Milk

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Combine sugar, and spices in a bowl Beat eggs lightly in large bowl. Stir in the mashed carrot, sugar-and spices whisk in evaporated milk. Brush pie shell with egg-wash, Pour filling into the pie crust.
Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F.; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve chilled, or at room temperate with whipped cream.

Seeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I k ow, I'm tooting my own horn here. DD told me she enjoyed my carrot pie better than pumpkin pie. My SIL doesn't like cooked carrots. However, he too said the pie was really good. Yeh, my head is swelling.

I did make an alteration to the reci[e I posted. I Used sweetened, condensed milk rather than evaporated milk, which gave it a mildly caramelized top, and the pie texture and flavor was spot on. I couldn't be happier.:mrgreen:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've never had carrot pie before (in fact this may be the 1st time I've ever heard of it) but I suppose it can't be too much different than squash (including pumpkin) or sweet potato.

Back
Top Bottom