The Tart Tatin: Why didn't I try it earlier??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frenchguycooking

Senior Cook
Hello guys,

I always wanted to do a Tatin pie, aka upside down caramelized apple pie... Well now I am good !

Here's a recipe for a good tart Tatin with a little twist. I didn't used puff pastry, I used shortcrust pastry, because I do prefer crumbly over crusty ;)

Ingredients
----------------
- 10 apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- double cream
- Short crust pastry (crumbly effect) or more traditionally a puff pastry

Baking-ware
-----------------
- Cake pan with high borders
- Sauce pan
- Peeler
- Rolling pin

Instructions
-----------------
- Peel all the apples and cut them in half
- Sugar in the sauce pan, water also, mix it up
- High heat
- Don't stir, don't touch (warning very very very hot)
- As it gets some color add the cream
- Stir it over medium heat and pour it in the baking pan
- Place the apples halves upright
- Fill the dish with apples
- Place the pastry on top, and push the edges of it in the baking pan
- Glaze with milk
- Bake for 30 minutes at 185°C or 370F
- Put it upside down with care
- Eat warm with creme fraiche

Hummmm. So delicious don't you think ? You can also enjoy it with ice cream, but my grand ma used to put some creme fraiche so I am doing the same.

Please let me know if you try it,

Best,

Gab

Hi Gab, I love tarte tatin and actually made one last week - I made it with puff pastry though (I used bought all-butter I must admit). Hadn't thought of using shortcrust.

I don't put cream in the caramel either, I'll try both the shortcrust pastry and cream in the caramel one day (I make much better shortcrust than I do puff, hence buying it), both very new to me :chef:

I do use a French recipe though, here's a link BBC - Food - Recipes : Tarte Tatin

Hi Gab, I love tarte tatin and actually made one last week - I made it with puff pastry though (I used bought all-butter I must admit). Hadn't thought of using shortcrust.

I don't put cream in the caramel either, I'll try both the shortcrust pastry and cream in the caramel one day (I make much better shortcrust than I do puff, hence buying it), both very new to me :chef:

I do use a French recipe though, here's a link BBC - Food - Recipes : Tarte Tatin

Hi Acerbicacid ! Puff pastry is the very tradition of this recipe. I did try this with shortcrust pastry because (as you do ;) ) I make a much better shortcrust pastry than I do puff...

Thanks for the link ! The recipe looks very authentic, but a bit more complicated...

Back
Top Bottom