Very Strawberry Pie filling/jam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I purchased some fresh strawberries and ofund that I wsn't eating them fast enough. I had purchased three containers full on sale. I needed to use them before they went bad. I decided to turn them into jam. It came out great for having to wing it. Here's what I did.

Ingredients:
1 qt fresh strawberries, peeled and hulled
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 ts[. lemon juice
2 pkags. Knox Unflavored gelatin

place all but the gelatin in a large pan over medium heat, with a heat diffuser under the pan to prevent hot spots and scorching. Cover and let cook for 20 minutes. Stir every few minutes to prevent the berries from boiling over. Reduce heat and remove the pan lild. Let simmer for another 15 minutes to evaporate the excess water. Gently mix in the gelatin while crushhing the berries. Pour into a sutable container and place tn the refrigerator.

I was expecting and intense strawberry jello style desert. Wht i got was an intense strawberry pie filling/jam. It's very spreadable, and has a great outh feel, and intense strawberry flavor. I'm a little surprised at how good it came out.

Just thought I'd share. If you want jam, but can't find your pectin, use unflavored gelatin. There is sufficeint pulp in the berries to turn this into a very good pie filling/jam.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom