What are the best pie(s) you make?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a thought ... You could make multiple pies and freeze them in the mini pie plates. When frozen solid pop them out of plate and wrap. Sort of like a Sara Lee frozen pie. When you want a single serving pie take one out, place in your pie plate and pop in oven to bake off. Personally I think my 5" pie plates are a nice (if smallish) single serving. Approx. 1/8 or 1 slice of a normal size pie; I use a recipe for 1 Libby Pumpkin pie and get 8 - 5" pies. A 7" plate is probably a more generous serving.
Sorry I couldn't be more help. I cook for 4 people so it works out good for us.

That, in bold, seems to be the best way for me to do it.. I think I'm guilty of wanting to just throw together a 7" pie when, in reality, doing two of them would work just fine and save me trying to cut down a recipe...

Problem solved... :)

Ross

Last edited:
I am a grand fan of Apple pie and prefer when the apples are of different varieties.

The others I enjoy are: BlackBerry, cherry, blueberry, rasberry & strawberry ..

Very lovely pies, Ms. Mofet.

Ross, and friends,

Several years ago DC had a couple running threads using a Breville mini pie maker. I confess I bought one, and 2nd confession, it is now gathering dust in the Cupboard of Mystery Kitchen Devices.

Lots of pages of tips and recipes.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/brevilles-personal-pie-68574.html

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/sweet-mini-pies-tips-ideas-and-recipes-79085.html

The good news is once you have a size pie plate you prefer, one can utilize the recipes in the threads and bake per normal, you don't really need a mini pie maker.

We are on vacation, so not accessing my recipes at home. I wish we had one of those boy scout/ girl scout long handled pie makers you hold over a campfire, we could use a couple of them right now.

I think, I make a satisfactory pumpkin pie, using the recipe on the back of the Libby's Libby's Libby's cans. And I love to make rhubarb cream pie, which does not contain any cream, just beaten eggs/ sugar and a pinch of cinnamon or maybe nutmeg? My favorite pie to Eat is lemon meringue, ( thanks Ms M for picturing this first at the top!)

Last edited:
Favorite Pies

My favorite is an old family recipe: Sour Cream Raisin Pie. Next best has to be pecan. And the third favorite would be apple hand pies.

Thanksgiving in my house allows every person to pick the kind of pie that they want. This means that with a dozen people, sometimes a dozen different kinds of pies will get made. The one caveat is they must take home their leftovers.

Margot, I'm curious, where is Coventry? Rhode Island, perhaps?

For pies, the list of the best we make is easy since we only make 2 kinds: apple and pumpkin.

However, the apples are hand picked by my excellent staff of highly trained pickers (DW and my boy), and the pumpkins for that pie are grown by a very mysterious guy who keeps his pumpkin patch under armed guard.

I kid you not on the latter. He's nuts and well armed (and my old neighbor) but he grows the best organic sugar pumpkins.

Margot, I'm curious, where is Coventry? Rhode Island, perhaps?

For pies, the list of the best we make is easy since we only make 2 kinds: apple and pumpkin.

However, the apples are hand picked by my excellent staff of highly trained pickers (DW and my boy), and the pumpkins for that pie are grown by a very mysterious guy who keeps his pumpkin patch under armed guard.

I kid you not on the latter. He's nuts and well armed (and my old neighbor) but he grows the best organic sugar pumpkins.
I think Coventry is in England.

pies

Yes, Buckytom, Coventry is in RI.
How lucky you are to have such a great local source for pumpkins and apples. I have a favorite orchard for apple. My favorite apple is a real old fashioned one, called Northern Spy. For some reason, they produce apples every other year so most orchards do not have them. And they are a late season apple, not available until late October. So, just right for Thanksgiving. Easy to miss getting them, though, so they have to go on the calendar.
Is there a big difference in pumpkin pies when you use a fresh pumpkin rather than from the can. And how would you prepare it? I buy the sugar pumpkins to act as bowls for our traditional pumpkin soup at Thanksgiving. I preheat them in the oven and soup can be served long before we sit down.

I didn't think someone from England would be celebrating Thanksgiving, so I looked it up to see if there was one in the US.

The crazy neighbor that grows the pumpkins gave my wife a tutorial on how to make an awesome pie from his pumpkins. I'll see if I can get the recipe.

It may be a little tough to read her notes as I think he was firing live rounds over her head, and setting off explosions and fires when he tested her to see if she got his recipe right.

Holy smoke! That recipe better be worth the trouble!!!

Mother was from England and a city gal. She married my father - a dairy farmer. She assimilated rather quickly to the farm life. Canning, freezing, putting-by were all part of her new life. However, she could not cook when first married. Dad taught her and there are some strange stories about that adventure.... On their first morning after the honeymoon, Mom proudly fixed a pie to have when dad came in from milking. When he tried to cut into it, the knife wouldn't go through the crust. He picked the thing up from the pie plate and flipped it around like a frisbee. New bride was in tears.

Holy smoke! That recipe better be worth the trouble!!!

Mother was from England and a city gal. She married my father - a dairy farmer. She assimilated rather quickly to the farm life. Canning, freezing, putting-by were all part of her new life. However, she could not cook when first married. Dad taught her and there are some strange stories about that adventure.... On their first morning after the honeymoon, Mom proudly fixed a pie to have when dad came in from milking. When he tried to cut into it, the knife wouldn't go through the crust. He picked the thing up from the pie plate and flipped it around like a frisbee. New bride was in tears.

Yes, his pumpkin pies are that good. I'm just glad he's on our side.

Lol about your mom's first pie. Reminds me of a story my dad used to tell about when he and mom were first married, he bounced a meatball off of his plate back into the big bowl of them since they were so hard and rubbery. Mom wasn't amused.

Ross, and friends,

Several years ago DC had a couple running threads using a Breville mini pie maker. I confess I bought one, and 2nd confession, it is now gathering dust in the Cupboard of Mystery Kitchen Devices.

Lots of pages of tips and recipes.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/brevilles-personal-pie-68574.html

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/sweet-mini-pies-tips-ideas-and-recipes-79085.html

The good news is once you have a size pie plate you prefer, one can utilize the recipes in the threads and bake per normal, you don't really need a mini pie maker.

We are on vacation, so not accessing my recipes at home. I wish we had one of those boy scout/ girl scout long handled pie makers you hold over a campfire, we could use a couple of them right now.

I think, I make a satisfactory pumpkin pie, using the recipe on the back of the Libby's Libby's Libby's cans. And I love to make rhubarb cream pie, which does not contain any cream, just beaten eggs/ sugar and a pinch of cinnamon or maybe nutmeg? My favorite pie to Eat is lemon meringue, ( thanks Ms M for picturing this first at the top!)

Thank you... Good information which I will be checking closely.. :)
That pie maker looks like fun..

Ross

Last edited:
My mother makes the world's worst apple pie. Bottom crust almost completely uncooked, apples still hard and swimming in pale liquid, top crust tasteless and somehow overdone. She thinks it's great, because nobody except me is willing to tell her how awful it is. (You think she'd figure it out when nobody finishes the pieces she hands out after dinner.) Since hers were the only ones I ever saw as a kid, I thought I hated pies for my entire childhood. Of course, once I finally tried a pie that wasn't hers, I realized how amazing they are. After much research on technique and different recipes, I now make an exceptional apple pie. It's one of my favorite fall treats.

The pies I make are usually mince pies for Christmas, with a mincemeat filling that I also make; steak and kidney pies; Quiche Lorraine and similar types, e.g. salmon and broccoli made in the same manner; chicken and leek pies; Bakewell tarts, tho' I don't know whether these come into the category of pies, and one or two others. All your pies look awsome. They make me feel like making more, if it weren't for the high calorie load! However, there's always such a thing as constraint, but that would be very difficult with all the pics you all put up on this thread!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I think Coventry is in England.

Yes, Buckytom, Coventry is in RI.
How lucky you are to have such a great local source for pumpkins and apples. I have a favorite orchard for apple. My favorite apple is a real old fashioned one, called Northern Spy. For some reason, they produce apples every other year so most orchards do not have them. And they are a late season apple, not available until late October. So, just right for Thanksgiving. Easy to miss getting them, though, so they have to go on the calendar.
Is there a big difference in pumpkin pies when you use a fresh pumpkin rather than from the can. And how would you prepare it? I buy the sugar pumpkins to act as bowls for our traditional pumpkin soup at Thanksgiving. I preheat them in the oven and soup can be served long before we sit down.

OOPS :blush:
27696-albums1090-picture7065.gif

Reminds me of the IQ question: is there a 4th of July in England?

Answer: yes, it comes after the 3rd, and before the 5th.

Chicken Pot Pie, but I might have already said this since the thread is old
I made my first chicken pot pie ever on Pi Day this year and it was *delicious* if I do say so myself :mrgreen:

I also make a darn good pumpkin pie. Otherwise, I don't do pies much because we don't often eat sweets at home.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom