What do you do with all those left over cuttings from pastry? Me, tonights apple pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whole milk

Senior Cook
My two favorite things to use leftover pastry for are pie crusts and palmiers. How do you use yours? And how long do they stay in the freezer before you find a chance to use them? Me, I usually have a one day turn around.

apple-pie1.jpg

I cook them along with the main pastry and use for pug treats. Sometimes plain, sometimes with something sprinkled on them.

We always sprinkled left over pie crust dough with sugar, and cinnamon, then baked as treats for other meals, or as snacks.

I haven't tried this, but think it would be great. Make the pie crust cookies and store in air tight freezer bags in te freezer. When you have enough of them saved up, crush them like you would Graham Cracker crumbs, and use as the crust for an apple bottom cheesecake. It sound tasty to me:chef:.

your pie looks delightful.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
As someone once wrote here, I cut them into shapes. Sometimes I sprinkle sugar on them. Then I bake them in the oven with the pie and when it's done, I throw away the burnt bits of leftover pie crust that I was trying to use. I have never succeeded in making something edible that way.

Ooo, cinnamon and sugar roll-ups. Mom (and now I) would gather up all the bits of pastry after assembling the pie, roll out, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar (sometimes Mom brushed butter on the pastry first, Oh My!), roll into a long tube, and cut into little logs about one inch. Bake with the pie, but pull out earlier. Those babies were gone before the pie ever came out of the overn. :yum:

Ooo, cinnamon and sugar roll-ups. Mom (and now I) would gather up all the bits of pastry after assembling the pie, roll out, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar (sometimes Mom brushed butter on the pastry first, Oh My!), roll into a long tube, and cut into little logs about one inch. Bake with the pie, but pull out earlier. Those babies were gone before the pie ever came out of the overn. :yum:

Jeannie does that after I prep a pie.
Great snack. :yum:

Ross

French Canadians call those Pets De Soeurs or Nun's Farts. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

We never bothered to roll them up we just sprinkled the cinnamon sugar on the rerolled scraps and cut them into wedges.

We also made little free-form strawberry jam tarts using the scraps of dough.

Last edited:
with planning you shouldn't generate enough scrap to make anything.

A good example of bad planning is cutting circles of dough from a sheet to make turnovers instead of cutting the dough into squares.

with planning you shouldn't generate enough scrap to make anything.

A good example of bad planning is cutting circles of dough from a sheet to make turnovers instead of cutting the dough into squares.
Or, good planning results in a snack for the hard-working baker ;) We're not running professional kitchens here.

Or make a gallette. They are rustic, so there usually aren't any pastry trimmings that don't get used for patching.

From Wikipedia:
A common form of galette resembles a type of single crust, free-form pie with a fruit filling and the crust folded partway over the top of the filling.

Last edited:

Yep, that's exactly what my mom used to do. Every single time. Whenever she would bake a pie, I couldn't wait for the little "cinnamon tarts", as she called them. They looked like little bite-sized cinnamon rolls and they were so good.

Don't forget, when baking, it's a basic, unalterable rule that there must be a little flour on one side of your nose. When my youngest daughter and I baked, we'd make sure that each of us was so adorned. We had so much fun being silly together. Her sense, (or lack of sense, pun intended) of humor is just like mine, whacky.:mrgreen:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I was watching an old video of Jacques Pepin and his friend Jean-Claude Szurdak making a tart the other day. They used the scraps of dough to make a streusel topping.

The tart pastry had been made using a food processor. After the tart ring had been fitted with the dough the scraps and trimmings were returned to the food processor. A few nuts and a spoon of sugar were added to the scraps and they were pulsed a few times to create a crumb topping for the tart.

I thought that was a great idea but it does cheat the kids out of a little treat.

Back
Top Bottom