"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2021, 05:37 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Smile What do you do with all those left over cuttings from pastry? Me, tonights apple pie

My two favorite things to use leftover pastry for are pie crusts and palmiers. How do you use yours? And how long do they stay in the freezer before you find a chance to use them? Me, I usually have a one day turn around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	apple-pie1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	46697

whole milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:19 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I cook them along with the main pastry and use for pug treats. Sometimes plain, sometimes with something sprinkled on them.
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:11 PM   #3
Certified/Certifiable

We always sprinkled left over pie crust dough with sugar, and cinnamon, then baked as treats for other meals, or as snacks.

I haven't tried this, but think it would be great. Make the pie crust cookies and store in air tight freezer bags in te freezer. When you have enough of them saved up, crush them like you would Graham Cracker crumbs, and use as the crust for an apple bottom cheesecake. It sound tasty to me.

your pie looks delightful.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:26 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
As someone once wrote here, I cut them into shapes. Sometimes I sprinkle sugar on them. Then I bake them in the oven with the pie and when it's done, I throw away the burnt bits of leftover pie crust that I was trying to use. I have never succeeded in making something edible that way.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:54 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Ooo, cinnamon and sugar roll-ups. Mom (and now I) would gather up all the bits of pastry after assembling the pie, roll out, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar (sometimes Mom brushed butter on the pastry first, Oh My!), roll into a long tube, and cut into little logs about one inch. Bake with the pie, but pull out earlier. Those babies were gone before the pie ever came out of the overn.
"The essence of America - that which really unites us - is not ethnicity, or nationality or religion - it is an an idea - and what an idea it is: That you can come from humble circumstances and do great things. That it doesn't matter where you came from but where you are going."~ Condoleezza Rice
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:23 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Ooo, cinnamon and sugar roll-ups. Mom (and now I) would gather up all the bits of pastry after assembling the pie, roll out, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar (sometimes Mom brushed butter on the pastry first, Oh My!), roll into a long tube, and cut into little logs about one inch. Bake with the pie, but pull out earlier. Those babies were gone before the pie ever came out of the overn.
Jeannie does that after I prep a pie.
Great snack.

Ross
Old 05-08-2021, 08:32 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
French Canadians call those Pets De Soeurs or Nun's Farts.

We never bothered to roll them up we just sprinkled the cinnamon sugar on the rerolled scraps and cut them into wedges.

We also made little free-form strawberry jam tarts using the scraps of dough.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, apple pie, other, pastry, pie