What went wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2belucile

Senior Cook
Post #10 in this thread

1 C Sugar
1 Tb Cornstarch
½ tsp Salt, scant
½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
½ tsp Ground Ginger
¼ tsp Nutmeg
1 Can Pumpkin (15 Oz)
2 Eggs, beaten
1½ Tb Butter, melted
⅛ C Molasses
12 Oz Evaporated Milk
1 Dash Lemon Juice
1 Deep-dish Piecrust

Preheat the oven to 450º F.
Sift the sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg together.
Combine the dry mixture with the
pumpkin.
Add in the eggs, butter, molasses, milk and lemon juice and combine.
Pour the mixture into the piecrust.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Reduce the temperature to 350º F and bake for another 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center of the
pie comes out clean.
Cool for 2 hours and serve immediately or refrigerate.

….
I tried to make this, but changed some ingredients. End result: delicious flavor, in the oven it went up, and up, but then it was taken out of the oven, and went down, down. Here is what I changed:
Instead of 1 C. sugar and 1/8 molases= I used - 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk Instead of 1 can Pumpkin- I used pumpkin (steamed and drained)
The rest of ingredients was the same. Oven temperature the same, but as I am at 1.500 mts. over sea level, it was in the oven for 60 min. more.
Can you or anybody else tell me: Why it went down? Thanks for the advice, as I would like to make it again soon-

Last edited by a moderator:
Pumpkin pie/custard always expands because of the steam created while baking, as it cools the steam reverts back to water and the custard becomes more dense. This is totally normal.

Yup. It puffs up in the oven and deflates as it cools. You should end up with a pie with a flat surface that's lower than the edge of the crust.

Thanks, Andy and Princess Fiona. Yes the pie went up beautifully, it was the first time that I made one of pumpkin. It was a disappointment to see it at the end, but the flavor made for the "altitude". I will make it again, now that I see that is so easy to do.
Thanks again and have a good week...........and I love discuss cooking, everybody is so nice and helpful.

Lucile, I'm glad you liked the recipe. If you have the opportunity to make it with the sugar and molasses (or dark brown sugar) you will notice a different flavor.

Thanks Andy, I will make it as you advise. I also want to make one with sweet corn more or less like that. Do you ( or anybody else) have a nice and EASY recipe?

The following recipe makes a very good corn pudding. I would think you could easily adapt it to a pie. Grandma's Corn Pudding Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I would experiment with other seasonings, depending on whether I wanted it more sweet or more savory. If savory, decrease the sugar and add something like Old Bay, or a little more salt, with some coriander, turmeric, maybe a touch of chili powder. If you want it sweet, then try it as is. I can't really think of any flavor additions that would improve it.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks, Goodweed, I think this is the same recipe that long time ago I had in the house of one person I knew long time ago. I never had the opportunity to ask for her
recipe, and now you give it to me. I will try it very soon.

Back
Top Bottom