"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2021, 06:03 PM   #1
Certified/Certifiable

What's Your Favorite Yeast-Raised Doughnut Recipe?

My favorite yeast-raised doughnut recipe is the following. Though it's actually a pastry dough, that makes amazing doughnuts, in this recipe, it's used to make scrumptious dinner rolls. I've also used it to make long johns, Bismarcks, cinnamon rolls, sticky buns, monkey bread, and yeast-raised doughnuts. If you want to make something special for your crew, give this recipe a try.1lb Potatoes (aprox 3 med potatoes) Cooked and mashed. ( you can use instant potatoes if you wish too)
-Reserve 1/2 cup of liquid from boiling potatoes
-Mix: 1 1/2 C warm milk
1/2 C oil
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 TBS salt

If potato water is cool enough add 2TBS of Yeast to water and then add to previous mixture.
Add 7 1/2 C flour ( dough will be soft) and I usually mix the last cup or so into mixture by hand kneading
Let raise till double then roll out and cut into circles. Dip in melted butter, fold in half and place on greased pan.
Let raise again. Bake @ 350 for 15 min until golden brown.

For doughnuts, cut into doughnuts after rolling out, let rise until doubled, and fry in 350' F. oil until browned on one side. Flip, and brown the other side.

Glaze, dust with powdered sugar, cinnamon and sugar, etc., or dip into glaze flavor of choice .

What's your favorite yeast-raised doughnut recipe?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:38 PM   #2
Head Chef

They sound wonderful! Wish I has a recipe to share with you, but I've not tried to make donuts that require frying...yet! What struck me is that I bought store-baked hoagie rolls at the market a few days back. When I opened the bag, I swear they smell like donuts!
Old 11-09-2021, 03:31 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never actually made yeast doughnuts, but I loved glazed ones growing up. I also love cakey doughnuts dipped in chocolate

Tags
butter, dough, flour, oil, potato, recipe, salt, yeast

What's Your Favorite Yeast-Raised Doughnut Recipe? My favorite yeast-raised doughnut recipe is the following. Though it's actually a pastry dough, that makes amazing doughnuts, in this recipe, it's used to make scrumptious dinner rolls. I've also used it to make long johns, Bismarcks, cinnamon rolls, sticky buns, monkey bread, and yeast-raised doughnuts. If you want to make something special for your crew, give this recipe a try.1lb Potatoes (aprox 3 med potatoes) Cooked and mashed. ( you can use instant potatoes if you wish too) -Reserve 1/2 cup of liquid from boiling potatoes -Mix: 1 1/2 C warm milk 1/2 C oil 1/2 C sugar 2 eggs 1 TBS salt If potato water is cool enough add 2TBS of Yeast to water and then add to previous mixture. Add 7 1/2 C flour ( dough will be soft) and I usually mix the last cup or so into mixture by hand kneading Let raise till double then roll out and cut into circles. Dip in melted butter, fold in half and place on greased pan. Let raise again. Bake @ 350 for 15 min until golden brown. For doughnuts, cut into doughnuts after rolling out, let rise until doubled, and fry in 350' F. oil until browned on one side. Flip, and brown the other side. Glaze, dust with powdered sugar, cinnamon and sugar, etc., or dip into glaze flavor of choice . What's your favorite yeast-raised doughnut recipe? Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews