Yeast dough problems.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't live in the US any longer, but the cake yeast used to be available--you might ask at your grocery store if they have fresh yeast. Seems to me it was in the dairy case...

Really?! That would be awesome! I asked for fresh yeast once, and then they showed be the dry package crap. But that was like WalMart I think.
So there is hope! :chef:

Perhaps a healthy/natural/hippie store. I will definantly give it a try again. Thank you!

I do hope you will share them! My ancesters were Norwegian and my dad has been studying Norwegian. I'd love to surprise him over Easter with some "real" Norwegian food. The boller look like something I'd like to try!

Oh yeah! How cool!
You should make like a marzipan-lidded cake then. Mmm!
With home made vanilla and egg yolk cream filling perhaps *drool*

I have the pans for that wedding cake--I can't remember the Norwegian name for it--but the one that is a series of different sized rings...the one that you put a bottle of wine in the center and then pile the rings on, "glueing them together" with marzipan.

Really?! That would be awesome! I asked for fresh yeast once, and then they showed be the dry package crap. But that was like WalMart I think.
So there is hope! :chef:

Perhaps a healthy/natural/hippie store. I will definantly give it a try again. Thank you!

You might be able to ask them to order it in. Or, if there is a local bakery, you could ask them if they'd sell you some or order you a cake. It should keep in the fridge...now I'm curious...I'm going to look at the grocery stores when I'm in MN visiting my folks...it is either fresh yeast, compressed cake yeast, or baker's yeast. I want to say it was compressed cake yeast and it was Fleishman's (white with red and blue writing). Perhaps s/one who lives in the States could be of more assistance as to whether or not it is still available for home use or not.
A quick search, and it would seem that you can order it online...

Last edited:
I have the pans for that wedding cake--I can't remember the Norwegian name for it--but the one that is a series of different sized rings...the one that you put a bottle of wine in the center and then pile the rings on, "glueing them together" with marzipan.

Oh yeah, kransekake.
It's used for almost any festive occasion or holiday too.
I thought you were supposed to glue it with a mix of powdered sugar and egg whites tho. Maybe we're talking about something different. I'm talking about this:

Kransekake-17.mai.jpg

You might be able to ask them to order it in. Or, if there is a local bakery, you could ask them if they'd sell you some or order you a cake. It should keep in the fridge...now I'm curious...I'm going to look at the grocery stores when I'm in MN visiting my folks...it is either fresh yeast, compressed cake yeast, or baker's yeast. I want to say it was compressed cake yeast and it was Fleishman's (white with red and blue writing). Perhaps s/one who lives in the States could be of more assistance as to whether or not it is still available for home use or not.
A quick search, and it would seem that you can order it online...

You're right! I found it online too.
Fleischmann's should have yeast in clump form it looks like.
But I've never seen it in the store. Perhaps it's because I'm in Texas.

But now I know there is hope at least! :)

Oh yeah, kransekake.
It's used for almost any festive occasion or holiday too.
I thought you were supposed to glue it with a mix of powdered sugar and egg whites tho. Maybe we're talking about something different. I'm talking about this:

Kransekake-17.mai.jpg

That's it! I thought it was marzipan--but it's been years since I've made it. Definitely if the "kitchen clutter police" came, those rings would be in the cardboard box of stuff to get rid of if not used in 30 days...NOT! I might not use them, but I won't part with them. Ditto for the krumkake iron or my rosette irons (both of which were my grandmother's).

Good luck finding cake yeast in your local grocery store (definitely would try s/place other than Walmart). When you go to the store, you might ask for the manager--it might be that the clerk doesn't know--or ask at the bakery department if they do "in house" baking...I wanted beef heart not long ago. The grocery store where I am is very small. The "in-house" butcher ordered it for me.

It might be that it isn't as common because of bread machines...but, hopefully you can find a source locally. Otherwise, there's always the Internet!

Last edited:
Good luck finding cake yeast in your local grocery store (definitely would try s/place other than Walmart). When you go to the store, you might ask for the manager--it might be that the clerk doesn't know--or ask at the bakery department if they do "in house" baking...I wanted beef heart not long ago. The grocery store where I am is very small. The "in-house" butcher ordered it for me.

It might be that it isn't as common because of bread machines...but, hopefully you can find a source locally. Otherwise, there's always the Internet!

That's nice!
I will ask around. Thank you so much :)
Those horrible bread machines...

You're welcome. Once you have "real" yeast, I hope you will not have to eat "cement" boller ever again and will post the recipe for us.

You've come to the right place to ask these kinds of questions...when friends of mine moved to Canada from Holland they were puzzled by the "bags" of milk...wondered how to handle 4 liters of milk. After I got over my giggle fit, I explained that inside of those bags there were smaller bags that fit into the milk pitcher sold in the grocery stores...sometimes, things can be confusing when you "move countries."

Last edited:
You might check for the yeast at a restaurant supply store like Gordon's Food Service. I'm sure they have some kind of restaurant supply store in Austin. I know that those stores carry the yeast her in Michigan. Good luck.

Salted butter.

But but but I'm baking boller, not bread. :wacko:
The recipe I'm using is a standard from about pre-caveman time.
I blame American yeast. :glare:

I have been baking bread for at least 30 years. I always used Saf instant yeast, about three months ago I was out of Saf. I was at Sams club and
bought 2 pounds Fleischmann's instant yeast bad mistake!! Every time I tried to make any kind of bread it would rise the first time. But would not rise after I shaped it. I tried every thing the only thing that worked was throwing the yeast out and ordering Saf from King Arthur. I know that all Fleischmann's yeast is not bad. I know that the two pounds I bought was,maybe you got some of the same batch that I did. I wasted 30 pounds of flour before I threw it out.

Good Luck

Josie

How many grams of cake yeast does your original recipe call for? I'm half Danish (the other half is Swedish with a little Norwegian thrown in) and lived in Denmark for a while. I use a lot of Danish recipes. Of course, all the recipes with yeast call for fresh, cake yeast. I googled and looked at a lot of sites and finally concluded that 25 grams of cake yeast = ~2 Tablespoons of dry yeast.

The other thing you might have to deal with when using Scandinavian recipes is converting the amount of sheet gelatine (husblas in Danish) to powdered gelatine. That one is fairly easy, because it's the same stuff in a different shape. The grams stay the same. One sheet of Danish husblas weighs 1.7 grams. One packet of Knox gelatine weighs 7 grams so 1 packet of powdered gelatine is about equivalent to 4 sheets of Danish husblas. I don't know if the Norwegian sheet gelatine is the same size as the Danish stuff.

Og velkommen til "Discuss Cooking".

How many grams of cake yeast does your original recipe call for? I'm half Danish (the other half is Swedish with a little Norwegian thrown in) and lived in Denmark for a while. I use a lot of Danish recipes. Of course, all the recipes with yeast call for fresh, cake yeast. I googled and looked at a lot of sites and finally concluded that 25 grams of cake yeast = ~2 Tablespoons of dry yeast.

The other thing you might have to deal with when using Scandinavian recipes is converting the amount of sheet gelatine (husblas in Danish) to powdered gelatine. That one is fairly easy, because it's the same stuff in a different shape. The grams stay the same. One sheet of Danish husblas weighs 1.7 grams. One packet of Knox gelatine weighs 7 grams so 1 packet of powdered gelatine is about equivalent to 4 sheets of Danish husblas. I don't know if the Norwegian sheet gelatine is the same size as the Danish stuff.

Og velkommen til "Discuss Cooking".

Hey, taxlady!
Thank you so much for the response! The gelatine thing was very very good to know, and it's now noted!
I bet the Danish and the Norwegian stuff is the same. If it's not, I'll find out sooner or later.

My recipe calls for 50g fresh yeast. Then I probably need more than a tea spoon of dry yeast. Just didn't wanna yeast it all to hell. :)
But if I'd have to use 4tbsp dry yeast in there.. Won't that be VERY VERY much? Thinking that I used 1 tea spoon in my last bread dough, and this dough is way smaller. :ermm:

Hey, taxlady!
Thank you so much for the response! The gelatine thing was very very good to know, and it's now noted!
I bet the Danish and the Norwegian stuff is the same. If it's not, I'll find out sooner or later.

My recipe calls for 50g fresh yeast. Then I probably need more than a tea spoon of dry yeast. Just didn't wanna yeast it all to hell. :)
But if I'd have to use 4tbsp dry yeast in there.. Won't that be VERY VERY much? Thinking that I used 1 tea spoon in my last bread dough, and this dough is way smaller. :ermm:

Could you try it out, sort of make a test run, using half your recipe? Or a quarter? Let us know how it goes.

Could you try it out, sort of make a test run, using half your recipe? Or a quarter? Let us know how it goes.

I'm on it!
The dough is kneading in my KA as we speak. I used 5, I repeat 5, table spoons of yeast in there for a kg of flour. It was so much yeast I almost had to hold on to my hat in order not to pass out on the kitchen floor.
It hurt my heart root seeing all that yeast slide down in the bowl. I see the whole scene in slow motion every time i close my eye lids. :(

But I did it for you, taxlady.

Let's see if the stupid dough rises this time.

I believe you may have used TOO MUCH yeast!

Next time make a pre-ferment, by mixing 1 cup flour with 1 cup of warm water (95F-105F) and 2 teaspoons of yeast in a glass or ceramic container with a lid, and let it ferment over night. You'll be able to see the activity of the yeast before committing it to your dough mixture, and it will give the bread a better, more mature flavor.

Back
Top Bottom