151 rum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweetness

Assistant Cook
I have made rum cakes using dark rum 80 proof and it was yummy! I want to make it stronger using 151 proof but I am not sure if it will still taste good. Has anyone tried it?? I need help!!

If you use 151, I would recommend Gosling's over Bacardi. (Actually, I would recommend ANY rum over Bacardi, but that is just a personal preference) You can always dilute it a bit if it seems too strong.

Stronger?

151 is stronger in alcohol but not in taste.

I dont find it that tasty, actually.

Maybe mix Meyers dark rum with some 151 if you want both rum and alcohol taste.

Me either. In the post about the eggnog, DH figured more was better and added 151 to the eggnog. It cooked the eggs. Whites and yokes were seen.

Imagine what that would do to your stomach lining plus it would make the cake taste.

I always use Myer's Dark Rum in my cooking and baking that calls for it....the rest of the time I use it IV...:wacko:

I always thought it used brandy. Wouldn't a nice warmed Gran Marinier taste and smell better?

Use the 151 for the purpose it was intended - to get drunk quick. Don't ruin a good cake with it.:(

Last edited:
Actually of all the various high powered rums I have tried, Gosling's Black Seal (made in Bermuda) has the best flavor. In the 80 proof line Cruzan Black Strap rum and Myer's are very good along with Gosling's 80 proof. On the more economical end of things, Ron Virgin makes an excellent dark, black rum for nearly half the price of Gosling's which runs around $18 bucks here. Mind you, these are just my humble opinions. I was wonderin' if you might share that rum cake recipe?

I wouldn't bother using 151 as the alcohol will evaporate out during cooking. You might want a strong flavored rum but not a high alcohol one.

Zhizara, that was my post, and I'll repeat it. Picture it. 40-50 of your nearest and dearest going to arrive in an hour or two. Hubby thought that if regular rum was good, 151 would be better. My husband made the eggnog, and I was doing last minute dressing -- house and self. He poured in the rum and I heard him yelling and swearing. Ran to the kitchen and he was watching stuff rise to the top of the pitcher or bowl (don't remember which he was using). He thought the half-and-half maybe wasn't as fresh as it should be. I just started laughing. "Look, hun, that's scrambled eggs!" The 151 cooked the eggs. He was in a panic. He'd promised his much-beloved eggnog. I just laughed and brought out a sieve and we strained it. Heck, at least we didn't have to worry about raw egg! (OK, don't give me grief). I guess it is sort of like lime juice cooking fish.

If you want more rum flavor, instead of going up in alcohol content, just go to a darker rum, or, if you like it, spiced rum. More alcohol content just equals getting drunk faster, not more flavor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom