3 dimensional cake question & chat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Hi, Has anyone out there ever made a three dimensional cake? Was it hard? Did you make it using a special cake pan or by just designing it yourself??

I would like to make a cake in the shape of a person. From head to shoulder. I'm not sure how to go about it though w/o buying any special pans.

In my mind, I should be able to do this w/o any special pans, just what I have, which is a loaf pans, round pans & a casserole dish.

You seasoned bakers out there: am I deluding myself??

Thanks!!

And to think I've only ever made cakes with 2 dimensions! No wonder everybody stillungry felt hafter having a slice!

Ignore me :).

Last edited:
What type of pans to use would be determined by the size requirements of your cake. If you intend to make something greater than about four layers high, then you will need either a sugary "glue" to hold the cakes together. Another popular method for securing cakes is to position them, then drive a dowel through the middle, and or sides as necessary. But remember, if you are sculpting in three dimensions, then you will need to push any horizontal supports deep enough so that they won't get in the way when you shape the cake.

Also, you will need extra body in the cake, so that it is not so crumbly. To that end, incorporate extra egg white, beaten into a foam, into the cake batter before baking, as you would angel food cake.

Try to picture in your mind what shape you wish to create. Then, use pans that will allow you to stack cakes as you need to. And don't forget that you can use stainless steel mixing bowls to make domed cakes.

But remember, you have to alter your baking techniques to insure that the cakes are cooked all the way through. Use lower heat and longer baking times for deep cakes. There are also cake pans that have a small, hollow tube that runs up the middle, to help carry heat more evenly to the interior. My wife used to make a hooped formal skirt out of such a pan, for a Barby Doll dress made from cake. She was a very creative woman when she was younger.:mrgreen:

With a bit of imagination, and some thought, you can pull this off. Good luck.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

When my children were young, they made 'suggestions' about exactly WHAT type of birthday cake they required. And woe betide me if it didn't look 'right'.

Amongst others, I made.....

The birthday 'Care Bear'
Symbol of the Italia World Cup mascot
2 Beehives with bees buzzing round (sheet gelatine wings, marzipan bodies striped yellow and black and on thin wire so they swayed in a breeze'

Three rabbits in a bed, with a pair of dungarees slung casually over the bottom bed rail...

Let me tell you - they were a nightmare!

I started with large square and oblong cakes made out of a firmer than usual sponge mixture. Made a template. Laid template on the cakes and then cut round the template. I decorated the end cake with icing or butter cream or fresh whipped cream. I used various processes from 'drawing' icing pens, to edible colouring pens...

Back
Top Bottom