7 minute frosting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda123

Senior Cook
Last weekend, I needed a blast from the past and made 7-minute frosting. Yum. I'd like to make it again, with a chocolate flavor. What can I add to the mixture to make it chocolate? I've never used chocolate extract - would that be all I need? Has anyone tried this? Or added anything to make other flavors (strawberry?)

And, with my KA, it didn't take 7 minutes to fluff up at all!

Thanks for your help.

Ingredients

1 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
4 egg whites, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

In a saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 242 degrees F (firm-ball stage). Meanwhile, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixing bowl until foamy. Slowly pour in hot sugar mixture; continue to beat on high for 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla. Continue beating until frosting reaches desired consistency, about 2 minutes.

Maybe cocoa powder?

I have never made thois kind of frosting. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I love 7 minute frosting. Chocolate would be great in it! I agree...try cocoa! I may have to try it myself!

I have never done this but, I would add 2T to 4T of cocoa to the sugar. Work the cocoa and sugar together to prevent lumps in the cocoa and follow your regular recipe.

Let us know how you make out!

Talk about a blast from the past!! I didn't know anybody still made 7 minute frosting.

You just brought back a nice memory. I was a Christmas time baby and my Mom would always make my birthday cake with this frosting. It was always an Angel Food cake, frosted with this beautiful shimmering white frosting. I can still see it sitting on top of her white milk glass pedestal cake plate, with holly around the rim of the plate. I remember that I didn't like the frosting very much, but I never told her.
It was soooooooo pretty with all the white peaks.

I am glad I brought back some pleasant memories, Kayelle....I usually make it once a year or so -- it's not my family's favorite either. Perhaps they will like the chocolate better.

i too remember 7 minute frosting as being very pretty and spreadable but having a rather odd aftertaste. chocolate is just the transformation this pretty icing needs to turn it into a total winner! i recall we moved on from the 7 minute frosting to a maple flavored one. made with pure maple syrup, this icing would whip up into soft peaks and swirls like the 7 minute one--but it had the additional appeal of a wonderful satiny maple flavor, one that was unforgettably delicious....

Oh...yum!!!!!! Do you have the ingredients/directions? I guess you boiled the syrup? What kind of cake did you frost with it?

Last edited:
Oh...yum!!!!!! Do you have the ingredients/directions? I guess you boiled the syrup? What kind of cake did you frost with it?

checking my facts, i see that the maple frosting i'm talking about is simply a variant of your 7 minute frosting--just subbing maple syrup for sugar in the recipe. and you can make it that way--it's even listed under 7 minute maple frosting....my recipe was simply 3 egg whites stiff beaten, and one cup of pure maple syrup, boiled (about 4 or 5 minutes) til it stretches a "thread". syrup is slowly incorporated into egg whites, beaten until the frosting is a nice thick consistency for spreading....we usually used this on a yellow or chocolate cake, though it was really quite incredible paired one time with a spice cake....

We always made a chocolate cake with this frosting on it. I can't wait to try chocolate cake with the chocolate version of this frosting!!

I have also never made this kind of frosting. Sorry I also can't be of more help.

just one more stray thought here...for those of us who are captivated by the soft, billowy whiteness of this beautiful frosting, how about trying leaving out the cream of tartar from the recipe next time? this ingredient has an acid flavor. if the egg whites are beaten to stiff peaks, i think the icing should hold up ok without the cream of tartar. has anybody made it this way?

i just came across an idea for 7 minute frosting that has me excited all over again!! MARSHMALLOWS. one cup of mini marshmallows beaten into the frosting at the end, along with a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla if you wish. then you can decorate with some coconut too, still in keeping with the pristine whiteness of this beautiful icing, which is, after all, its crowning glory, is it not? :)

When we were kids my Mom made it using the juice from the maraschino (sp?) cherries on Valentines day. I am not sure what other changes she made. It was sickly sweet on a white cake with almond flavoring so naturally we liked it. I am not sure if I could stand it today.

Back
Top Bottom