A Snack Cake Good Enough to Eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I love carrot cake. My wife loves carrot cake. My kids love carrot cake. But we all hate the huge amount of fat found in many carrot cake recipes. Soooo, I had to make it healthier. I think I posted this recipe before, but have now made it healthier still. And I made it as cup cakes this time. My eldest daughter, for whom they were made (it was her birthday yesterday) loved them without any icing. They were that moist and flavorful. And I'm gonna share the recipe.

This recipe reduces the fat still further and replaces the white flour with whole wheat flour. It also adds pecans to the mix. You can use sugar, or if you are sugar conscious, Sucralose, or Stevia in the recipe as well. Enjoy. Believe me when I say that the whole wheat flour makes this cake even better.

Whole Wheat Carrot Cake
Ingredients:
Dry: Combine in a large bowl:
2 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups sweetener (sugar, sucralose, or stevia)
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Wet Ingredients:
2/3 cup cooking oil
4 large eggs
1/2 cup water
1 tbs. molasses
1/8 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
2 cups grated carrot (about 7 carrots)
1 cup broken pecan pieces

Preheat oven to 355'F.
Combine the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, except for the carrot and pecan pieces. Whisk until smooth. Fold in the carrot and pecans. Fill cupcake papers 3/4 full (about 2.25 tbs.). Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour. Test with a butterknife. When the knife comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Let cool on a wire rack. Serve as is, or with cream cheese icing.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

sounds just wonderful and i have all the stuff. so printed recipe and will maybe do tomorrow instead of raisin bran. i will use sugar,having problems keeping blood sugar up for last few days. so could use the boost from sugar.

Mmmmm... I love healthy yummy things and this sounds good. I'm going to try it too! Could we go over the sweetener? 2 cups of sugar I presume - or the equivalent of Stevia...? (I have the liquid in my cupboard) Or maybe I would get better results with Splenda...? Thanks for sharing the recipe! Cindy :wub:

how many cupcakes does this make?
Not sure. I ran out of cupcake papers. So, I made a small cake and 24 cupcakes.

As for the amount of sweetener and adding raisins, the raisins won't make it sweeter. If you cut the sweetener in half, then the mollasis would dominate, like boston brown bread. I think it would still be pretty tasty. You might also want to decrease the oil further still and add an equal amount of applesauce as the oil you deleted. But that might make it gooey. I'm not sure. If you use honey in place of the sugar or splenda, you can decrease the amount used as honey has more sweetening power than does sugar. Maple syrup would be a great flavor with this cake as well. Or, instead of a cream cheese icing (if you use icing at all on this), make a butter cream with maple syrup as the sweetener.

Hope your cake turns out as moist and good as mine did. Enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

So lots of cupcakes! Thanks for letting me know - I'll make a note to halve this since there's just two of us here.

Back
Top Bottom