Angel Food Cake Woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mama Gracie

Assistant Cook
My husbands favorite cake is just simple ol Angel Food Cake.

I've tried twice in the last 2 weeks to make this cake. I found the recipes off the internet and they were pretty much the same. Once they failed though, I lost them or I'd show you exactly how I made them.

My problem is they flopped big time.

The first one ended up FLAT as a pancake. The second one was about 1 1/2 inch tall.

Are they really that difficult to make?

I did a search and skimmed the titles but found no threads on this. If there is one, just shoot me in that direction please. Or, share with me your recipe and/or thoughts to why mine went flat.

Thanks in advance.

Did you grease the sides of the pan? If so, that's the problem. The sides of the pan have to be dry and clean so the rising batter can 'climb' up the sides.

Did you grease the sides of the pan? If so, that's the problem. The sides of the pan have to be dry and clean so the rising batter can 'climb' up the sides.

Ya know...now that you've said that, I am almost positive I did "Pam" the first batch.

I was also thinking about the pan I used. I don't have an "official" angel food cake pan but used a Pampered Chef bundt cake stoneware pan. I plan eventually to buy an appropriate cake pan but thought during the experimental phase, any pan would do.

Maybe not?

Stoneware doesn't work well for angel food cake because of the patina that builds on stoneware. Get yourself a cheapo metal cake tin and as Andy said, don't grease it.

Got to say though, the angel food cake mixes are cheap and easy. Considering how long it takes to do all those egg whites otherwise, I say get the mix!

I think all bases have been covered. Good pan, and no water OR fat with the whites. Only thing I can add is to make sure your whites are whipped into very stiff peaks, and fold the batter to retain as much air as possible. Everything should come together quick, the longer the whites sit, the separate.

Got to say though, the angel food cake mixes are cheap and easy. Considering how long it takes to do all those egg whites otherwise, I say get the mix!

Ok...you caught me! I just wanted an excuse to use my new mixer :)

And thanks for all the tips. I'll be trying again early next week.

Actually, I have a non-stick angelfood cake pan and it works wonderfully. But everyone is right, the pan must be scrupulously clean and free of any oil or fat. And you can use your mixer with the mix. I had made them many times with the box mix and a hand mixer but when I got my new stand mixer, I was totally amazed at how much higher the box mix whipped up. Fantastic!

Mamagracie, how are your cakes turning out now?

I have an angelfood cake dilemma (sp?). At the end of June the girl that makes our birthday cakes at work can't make the one for my boss because a)she has to make another cake the day before for another birthday and b)she doesn't have an angelfood cake pan. I volunteered and I don't want to let my boss down. I don't think one cake will be enough servings for the department and for the people with food radar at work. I only have one angelfood cake pan. I haven't decided to go with a mix or homegrown, though I have made homegrown successfully--don't know where I got a working recipe so I will have to find another. Does anyone have suggestions for another pan I can use that will work? I have bundt pans, 8 inch cake pans, 10 inch, 12 inch, cheesecake pan, 9x13 in aluminum, glass and 'like plastic but not' and maybe more. Thank you in advance ~Bliss

PS. If I was going to bring 'something' to spoon over plain cake, like strawberries in sugar, what other 'somethings' should I bring?

No clue on the pan.. but as to having something on the cake.
Strawberries

Warm Carmel

Warm chocolate fudge

blueberries

I didn't know this either. Great to know as I have the flat angel cake problem too.

a store bought cake recipe is just as easy........for the flatness.....maybe your baking powder was old......maybe you were being tested........fresh fruit and whipped cream are wonderful.......some cooked peaches or strawberries with a wee hint of orange liqueur and lots of cool whipped cream sound awfully nice

abj-thanks for the recipe, it looks good.
I have a tin loaf pan that will work, so I'll have enough cake for everyone. Thank you all for the ideas. ~Bliss

so I made my first angel food cake for the first time..
I was quite nervous.. but it seems to have come out well.. The only thing is that when folding the flour in, it didn't mix very well with the whites? Anyone have a problem with that?

I love love love angelfood cake!

Another great idea for a summertime treat is to slice your angelfood cake into three layers, put a thick layer of some sherbert ice cream (that you let sit out until soft enough to spread). Add a layer of cake. One more of sherbert and top with the last layer of cake. Freeze. Cut and enjoy. mmmmmmm good stuff!

It's also great torn up into bite-sized bits and mixed with some fresh whipped cream and the sweetest, juiciest berries you can find.

:heart:
Z

Back
Top Bottom