Another cheesecake question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callmaker60

Senior Cook
So far in my life I made two cheese cakes, taste, texture was great, but had a crack in the center. Now I know over beating can cause this, over baking. But my question is, all the recipe's i have looked at on youtube say cook until center is a little jiggly, wiggle, so does this mean right in the center or 1/2 or 2/3 in from the outer edge?

I've found it also helps to run a thin-bladed knife around the edge when it comes out of the oven.

I let mine cool in the oven for about an hour, And I also add 3 TBSP of flour to the cheese cake batter to stop cracking.

I add cornstarch to filling never tried flour. Cornstarch works fine.

The reason custards crack in the cheesecake is that as teh custard cools, it shrinks a little toward the center. The custard has also laminated itself to the crust, which doesn't shrink. The two forced play against each other. The custard must shrink, and the crust must remain at a constant size. The pressures caused by this differing rate of expansion/contraction is the same as with glass. When a hot glass is placed in cold water, the sufaces touching the cold water shrink more rapidly that the center of the glass, and not being malleable, it shatters. The custard must shrink, but is held fast to the crust. So, the crack appears as the proteins in the custard constrict.

Since I learned how to make creamy fillings vs firm fillings, my custard in the pie no longer cracks. The others who posted before me already nailed it. Don't overcook the custard, it should jiggle, cool slowly, typically in the oven after it's been turned off, and the oven door left slightly opened. Even then, it can sometimes crack. When it does, cover it with sweetened sour cream, or a fruit pie filling. No one will ever know the crack was there.;)

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom