Apple Coffee Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Simple and tasty describes this light and delicious apple cake. Its flavor is pure apple, with real, whole fruit to give it a nutritional boost. I threw this together by modifying a couple of tried and true recipes, combining qualities of both. Here's the recipe.

Apple Coffey Cake
Ingredients:
1 cup cake flour
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbs. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 1/2 tsp. double-acting baking powder
1 large egg
1/2 cup apple cider
1 large, apple (Pink Lady, or Fuji both work well)
3 tbs. melted butter, or cooking oil

Core and dice the apple, with the skin on. Set aside/ Combine the brown sugar, egg, butter, and salt together in a large bowl. Whisk in the cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the flour, and baking powder and whisk into a smooth batter. Fold in the diced apple. Pour into a buttered cake pan (this would be great baked in a bundt pan). Bake at 350' F. for 15 minutes. Test with a toothpick, or butter knife. If they come out clean after inserting into the cake middle, the cake is done. Slice into wedges and serve with apple-cream sauce.

Apple creme sauce, or apple curd.
Make this sauce ahead of time if you want to use it cold. Make it just before the cake is done if you want to use it hot. It's great either way.
Ingredients:
1 egg, separated
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups apple cider

Place apple cider into a sauce pan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Whisk together the egg yolk, sugar, and salt. When the cider comes to a boil, remove 1.4 cup and slowly whisk it into the egg yolk mixture to temper the yolk. Reduce the heat under the pot of cider until the liquid stops boiling. Slowly whisk the egg yolk mixture into the hot cider and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Cook until the curd thickens. Remove from the heat and cover with plastic wrap, pushing the wrap down to touch the curd Let cool for twenty minutes, then place in a sealable jar and refrigerate for two hours.

As I stated, you can make this as the cake is cooking and spoon it hot on top of the finished cake as well.

Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
This sounds delicious :yum: We can only get apple cider in the autumn around here, so I'm going to save it in my calendar for late September. Thanks! [emoji16]

Wow, such an amazing recipe. I never get tired of baking so adding this to my favorites plus I have all the ingredients available in my home.

Thanks for sharing this tasty recipe. I have all the ingredients available in my kitchen. I look forward to making this tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom