Attempting a Topsy Turvy Cake with Fondant Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
I am stepping out of my area of expertice this afternoon. I made the mistake of telling my daughter to go on-line and get some ideas for a cake we can bake for her mother to celebrate her birthday tomorrow. She chose a fairly elaborate one. I am happy to try it, I just have never had great success with baking. Anybody have any tips for a foolproof technique or recipe for fondant? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I buy my fondant, I've tried making it and even though it tastes MUCH better, it makes a pretty significant mess. My only tip would be to keep it at a steady temperature, and try not to let it get warm. Warm it gets sticky, and will sometimes crack.

I made fondant once. Never again. If I need it (VERY rare occasion) I purchase it.

Don't really care for it as cake frosting. Ganache is SO much tastier, not to mention better texture.

Thanks. I wanted to try to make fondant with my 13 year old daughter. More for the experiene than anything else. It was tough, but not a total disaster. We made two batches, split the second one before the kneeding stage and added food couloring. She wanted a polka dotted cake. It is the stickiest thing I have ever worked with. Made a lot of dishes and mess, too.

It had its moments:LOL: And was an experience, alright.

Can you share the recipe you used? I tried a marshmallow fondant once and it was a disaster. The cake I want to make for my daughter's birthday is covered with fondant. (polka dotted as well)

We read so many recipes on line, and there were lots of different techniques. So, I just told my daughter to pick one and we will go with it. She chose a youtube video, so we could actually see how it was done. All in all, it was fun. I will try again because I am stubborn and have a bunch of gelatin and glycerin left over and I hate to waste.:LOL:
‪Rolled Fondant Video Exactly How To Make Rolled Fondant From Scratch‬‏ - YouTube

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom