Baked Alaska...Tips, Techniques, and Basically a Recipe needed...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookinBlondie

Senior Cook
When my family and I went to Branson last summer, we took a cruise on the lake and had the most delicious dessert I have ever had: Baked Alaska! I have always wanted to make one, and since I am out of school today, I thought I could make that my project. I just need some people who have made this before to lend me a tried and true recipe, along with a few tricks of the trade. I know this may seem like a big undertaking, but it's something I've always wanted to do.

Any bit of help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! I don't know what I would do without you guys!

Love those, but don't have a TNT recipe....but I'm bumping you up, Blondie, hoping you'll get a good one! Best of luck!

Here is a simple recipe that I have had for awhile but have not attempted making it as of yet so I cannot vouch for it.

Bombe Alaska
------------
500ml ice cream
18cm square sponge cake
1/3 cup framboise (or other liqueur)
2 egg whites
1/2 cup caster sugar

Press the ice cream into 4 x 1/2 cup capacity moulds then turn out onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Freeze until the ice cream is firm. Cut pieces of the sponge cake to fit under the bases of the ice-cream and use a spatula to slide under them.
Cut the remaining cake into thin slices and use to wrap around the ice-cream to enclose it completely. Brush the cake covering the ice-cream well with the liqueur. Place in the freezer and elave for at least 1 hour.
Just before serving, preheat the oven to 220'C. Place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and beat until glossy. Spread over the cake-covered ice cream and bake in the top of the oven for 4-5 minutes or until the meringue is set and is a golden colour at the edges. Serve immediately.
Serves 4.

Note: - Use any flavour of quality ice cream and choose a liqueur or any type of alcohol that goes with it.

:) You can also make them in individual servings instead of a large one you can assemble them complete with meringue and put into feezer up to 2 days when ready take out of freezer and brown meringue then serve or you can freeze them a bit take out and brown meringue then put back into freezer until ready to serve, be sure to take out freezer a few minutes early to get ice cream inside to soften up a bit

Back
Top Bottom