Baking Soda or Powder in my Cheesecake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chef_Jen said:
Yes cornstarch i use... so that it doesnt crack and cogulation etc.. but i only use like 20 grams

ew, metrics again. This cake is a 5 pounder so it's mass dictates its requirements.

BTW, I stack two pans to accommodate the height. I like tall cheeseCAKEs

what a sec.. you put all that in one pan

Ok see.. now you have peaked my pastryness.. i need to make this tonight cause my experience tells me this is like a sponge cake with cheese

Chef_Jen said:
See reading your recipe and comparing it to mine.. really you dont need that much cornstarch you have WAYYYY amounts of flour.
Ok, I do like simplification. I guess you noticed no heavy or whipping cream added. I also stopped separating eggs. I do suggest that eggs be strained to pulverize the glutinous whites to promote thorough incorporation into the batter. Your plastic wrap suggestion worked like a champ. I used it on the bottom only tho. I use an oil spray with flour to help the graham and brown sugar to adhere and I fade it out close to the top leaving an airbrushed appearance. I will continue to use glazes for the top. I'ts perfect.

Cheesecake baking time - first 15 min @ 450 then reduce to 275 for 1 hr. 15 min. Apply glaze while still cooling.

This cake will deflate to a substantial degree. I'm hopeful to find a remedy. I recommend that the tsp of baking soda not be eliminated but add it just seconds before sliding the cake into the oven. Adding humidity to the baking environment is a good idea. I wish I could be with you to watch you eat it.

Lemon glaze - 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 6 tbsp lemon juice(I don't squeez lemons anymore), 2 tbsp corn starch, 1/4 in pad of butter. Boil it long-n-hard.

Last edited:
So do you bake it in a waterbath??? Cheesecake should ALWAYS be bakedin a waterbath or a tray of water underneath it.

and Umm deflation is SUPPOSE to happen.. the baking soda added just b4 the oven wont help..

Ill skip the glaze as you have 1/4c of lemon juice in the cake

ive never seperated eggs for a cheesecake!

Like i said to me.. your recipe resembles a sponge or pound cake.. with cheese added

let me list the order I used to combine ingredients.

Mixture#1 - cream cheese + ricotta cheese + sour cream + eggs

Mixture#2 - mixture#1 + corn starch(to bind eggs)

Mixture#3 - mixture#2 + flour

Mixture#4 - mixture#3 + vanilla + lemon juice

Mixture#5 - mixture#4 + baking soda

img_316045_0_c888f66554fccfd8fcb1951f0bbebe4f.jpg

:)

Chef_Jen said:
Like i said to me.. your recipe resembles a sponge or pound cake.. with cheese added

Jen, if you expect me to come over for cheesecake you must add the glaze:sleep:

I just put water well below it on the floor of the oven.

A custard pound cake would be an apt description yet a true n faithful cheesecake. Please don't say I'm not making a cheesecake when I've just started to like you.:dry:

nooooooooooooooooo lol you didnt start like me lol i didnt re invent the wheel..

Your not making a textbook cheesecake no. your making a cake with cheese lol

and yes i definitly need more wookie

Ok.. your mixing is a lil off.. try this it will help with deflation!

Add all your ingrediants BAR the eggs.. and the bloody baking soda

then add eggs ONE at a time to make sure they are incorporated.

ta da! mixed no reason to add your vanilla and Lemon juice so late in the mix

Chef_Jen said:
nooooooooooooooooo lol you didnt start like me lol i didnt re invent the wheel..

LMBO, " bloody baking soda " ewwie.
Thanks Jen. I had hoped for your input on the mixing order. I've tried different things without knowing what the heck to expect.

Last edited:
I have really enjoyed reading all of this discussion about cheescake. I once ate an Italian cheesecake that was so light and delicate - wish I had the recipe! Here in Puerto Vallarta, we have been waiting all day for the forecasted hurricane to appear, and so far, it's only a little light rain, so we are very bored... Just thought I would add something else to the mix: yesterday, we were at a little tienda (tiny convenience-type store) in Bucerias, a fishing town about 12 miles north of PV. We were buying sodas for the guys who were working on our little casa there - we are getting ready to move in the next few days. There was a curious-looking "pie" type thing on the counter and we were hungry, so we bought two pieces. The clerk said it was "cheesecake." Actually, it was a sort of custard pie, with regular pie crust, but it tasted much richer and sweeter. Sort of like a very creamy flan, but more substance and a crust. My bet is that it had condensed milk in it...it was absolutely delicious. And since it was sitting at room temp (about 92 degrees), we have been waiting for the dreaded stomach cramps to set in, but so far, so good.

MexicoKaren said:
Just thought I would add something else to the mix
LOL Karen(my older sister's name), that sounds like a custard tart. Good luck to you in your move. Glad to hear the hurricane turned into a non-event.

Last edited:
actually the japanese cheesecake makes an emulsified slurry out of cornstarch and eggs for a really smooooth finish.almost plastic looking but it holds well!

My fav cheesecake is polish made with potato mmm

PS ALWAYS make cheesecake with room temp cheese.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom