Banana Oatmeal Crumb Cake REC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Ok, this is the recipe I was going to make for my B-day last week, but had to postpone due to lack of eggs, then lack of time.

Here's the original recipe:

Banana Oatmeal Crumb Cake
Makes: 8” square cake

½ c (1 stick) Butter or margarine, softened
2/3 c Brown sugar
2 Eggs
1 c Mashed Ripe Bananas
1 t Real Vanilla extract
¾ c Flour
1 1/3 c Old Fashion Oatmeal
¼ t Salt
1 t Baking Soda
For the Topping:
¾ c Old Fashion Oatmeal
1/3 c Brown Sugar
2 T Butter or Margarine, melted
2 T Walnuts, finely chopped
½ t Ground Cinnamon
1/4 t Ground Cardamom

Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Grease and flour a 8” (20cm) square cake pan. Stir together flour, oats, salt, and baking soda. In a large bowl, cream the butter or margarine with the brown sugar. Beat in the eggs, then the bananas and vanilla. Beat the flour mixture into the banana mixture. Turn the batter into a greased and floured 8” square pan. Mix all the topping ingredients together until crumbly. Bake in preheated oven at 350ºF (180ºC) for 40 – 45 minutes, or until inserted knife or tester comes out clean. Transfer to a rack to cool.

I've since changed it up a bit to make it more organized, and to be easier to understand. Here's my version:

Banana Oatmeal Crumb Cake
Makes: 8” square cake

For the Topping:
¾ c Oatmeal
1/3 c Brown Sugar
2 T Butter or Margarine, melted
2 T Walnuts, finely chopped
½ t Ground Cinnamon
¼ t Ground Cardamom
For the cake:
½ c (1 stick) Butter or margarine, softened
2/3 c Brown sugar
2 Eggs
1 c Mashed Ripe Bananas
1 t Real Vanilla extract
¾ c Flour
1 1/3 c Oatmeal
¼ t Salt
1 t Baking Soda

Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Grease and flour a 8” (20cm) square cake pan. Mix together the topping ingredients, except the nuts. Once it’s uniform, add the walnuts and mix. Set aside.
Sift together flour, salt, and baking soda. Add the oat and mix together. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream the butter or margarine with the brown sugar. Beat in the eggs, then the bananas and vanilla. Beat the flour mixture into the banana mixture. Turn the batter into a greased and floured 8” square pan. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the batter. Bake in preheated oven at 350ºF (180ºC) for 40 – 45 minutes, or until the cake tests done with a toothpick. Transfer to a rack to cool.

I'll let you all know what it tastes like after it's done and cools a bit, in about an hour or so.

Allen, I just read your post about your mixer dying and I was hoping you posted this recipe. It sounds great!

And, my sympathies on your KA! :( First your computer and now your mixer--poor guy! Like choc said, look into getting it repaired. Don't break down and get a new one yet.

Back
Top Bottom