Basic fondant recipe anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bethsy

Assistant Cook
Hey hey,

So i know i am being a bit of a thread hog, but i am desparate for a generic recipe for fondant since i have established (thanks to all you lovely folks) that perhaps Royal Icing ain't real appropreate for this climate (Australia.... makes it leak..)
I have searched all over the net and there are so many variations of fondant. I definately want the recipe for a fondant that can be roll out over a cake and am not really interested in a commercial pre-made type deal, i'd prefer to make it myself. I have searched the forum and am yet to come up with a basic, hard to fail fondant. I don't need chocolate or vanilla or any other fancy flavour. Just a recipe that is well tested and tried.
Thanks all. :)

Bethsy

I can give you one but it's at home and I'm at the office! I'll try to remember later.

It's very easy, by the way, and far nicer than the commercial one. A bit of lemon or almond flavoring (if it works with your cake flavor, of course) make it positively palatable!

By the way, I don't get your "leak" comment regarding royal icing. It has all sorts of disadvantages (and advantages) but it's seldom a climate issue. Can you point me to the thread where this was evidently discussed?

Fondant is a cooked sugar confection. It is used as a centre in confectionery, but when it is heated, the poured icing can be used as a cake-covering on small cakes like Petit Fours.

Rolled fondant is a sugar dough or sugarpaste that is used as a cake covering.

Either of these are very easy: the rolled fondant recipe is in Aust metric, but the other is in Imperial:

ROLLED FONDANT
5 teaspoons gelatine
3 tablespoons water
125 ml liquid glucose
1 tablespoon glycerine
1 kg icing sugar
Sprinkle the gelatine over water in a small bowl. Leave until gelatine is spongy. Place bowl in a pan of hot water and stir until the gelatine has dissolved. Add the glucose and the glycerine and stir until melted. Cool for 1 minute.
Sift the icing sugar into a large bowl, then remove a cupful for use when kneading. Make a well in the centre of the icing sugar and pour in the gelatine mixture. Combine with a wooden spoon, then use a dry hand to knead until the icing has a dough-like texture, adding a little of the reserved icing sugar if necessary. Turn out onto a work surface dusted with icing sugar and knead until smooth and pliable, adding more icing sugar as necessary to prevent sticking.
Use immediately, or wrap in plastic and store in an airtight container in a cool place (not the fridge) for up to 3 days. Roll out on a surface dusted with icing sugar to use.

MARSHMALLOW FONDANT
16 oz white marshmallows [500g]
2 tb water
2 lb icing sugar [just under a kilo]
Melt marshmallows and water. The mixture when completely heated in the microwave should look "Soupy".
Place ½ sugar in a bowl. Make a well and pour melted marshmallow in to mix. Add remaining sugar and continue as for basic fondant.
Mix from the center of the well out. Stir with a spoon. It looks like it will not come together in a smooth texture, but it will. Do not mix it all at once or the texture will change. Add small amounts of the confectioners' sugar at a time to keep the fondant pliable. If the sugar is added all at once, the fondant will be stiff and rubbery making it difficult to work with.

Hey, I noticed there are many variations of fondant. I'm going to be using a pourable one soon for something, but to mold and roll out - Here is a recipe that is super easy. I've used it personally, and it's wonderful! A note though: If you are working with this fondant (making shapes etc...) cover what your not working with so that it doesn't get dry. Also - The more you work with it, it eventually gets tough, kind of like pastry dough does. So prepare ahead and it should be fine.

Good Luck!

Rolled Buttercream Fondant
print_logo.gif
Submitted by: Mia
Rated: 4 out of 5 by 66 members Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Ready In: 10 Minutes
Yields: 45 servings

"Great rolled fondant recipe for cakes or cookies. Tastes like buttercream frosting."
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]INGREDIENTS:[/FONT]
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
2 pounds confectioners' sugar

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DIRECTIONS:[/FONT]
1.In a large bowl, stir together the shortening and corn syrup. Mix in the salt and vanilla flavoring, then gradually mix in the confectioners' sugar until it is a stiff dough. If you are using a stand mixer, use the dough hook attachment. Otherwise, knead by hand. If the dough is sticky, knead in more confectioners' sugar until it is smooth. Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.2.To use, roll out on a clean surface that has been dusted with confectioners' sugar until it is 1/8 inch thick or thinner if you can. Drape over frosted and chilled cakes and smooth the sides down, or cut into strips to make bows and other decorations.

ENJOY!

Back
Top Bottom