Bet you haven't had this question before...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daizymae

Washing Up
Hi, kids! I want to bake a carrot cake. It is standard-issue except for the fact that it's half honey and half sugar.

But it says to bake it in a loaf pan. I want to bake it in a shallow 9 X 9 inch cooking dish. I don't want slices, I want nice square pieces.

Is this kind of switch doable without burning or some other problem?

Expert bakers, come on down. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Also, I don't have any cream cheese on hand for the icing. Do you think yogurt would work, maybe if I strained some of the whey out?

Using the 9x9 pan should be OK. It will be thinner than one baked in the loaf pan. It will cook in less time.

While the cake is baking, run out and get some cream cheese.

Watch the cooking times.
The recipe I just found said bake in a 9 by 13 pan for 40-50 minutes. (350°f)
The next one said round 9 inch cake pans for 50-60 minutes.
(300°f)

Using the 9x9 pan should be OK. It will be thinner than one baked in the loaf pan. It will cook in less time.

While the cake is baking, run out and get some cream cheese.

I'm 15 miles from the nearest store...

:LOL:

Then I'd choose another frosting, or none at all. I used to broil a frosting on top of my carrot cake using a mix of butter, brown sugar, and chopped nuts. Delish!

You can also make a powdered sugar frosting.
Powdered sugar, butter or margarine, a bit of milk and flavoring of your choice.

I'm 15 miles from the nearest store...

:LOL:

Cream cheese can be approximated by straining, and washing the whey from cottage cheese. Then blend the curds until creamy smooth. Complete your icing with the smooth cottage cheese. you could also use creme' fresh, or even mascarpone cheese if you have it.

Seeeeeya; Cheif Longwind of the North

You can also make a powdered sugar frosting.
Powdered sugar, butter or margarine, a bit of milk and flavoring of your choice.

That is standard old fashioned, easy-to-do icing, isn't it. That is how we always made it when we were kids.

I wonder why it is felt that only cream cheese can be used on a carrot cake - you know, if there is some legitimate reason for it! :)

You're welcome and I think you'll like it. Sorry, I don't remember the proportions but it is yummy. Don't take your eyes off of it in the broiler!!

This is the recipe for a small, 8 inch, Lazy Daisy cake frosting.

1/4 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 cup flaked coconut

Mix together, spread on cake and run under the broiler for approx. 3 minutes, until bubbly and starting to brown.

You could probably swap out the coconut for chopped nuts.

That is standard old fashioned, easy-to-do icing, isn't it. That is how we always made it when we were kids.

I wonder why it is felt that only cream cheese can be used on a carrot cake - you know, if there is some legitimate reason for it! :)

'Cuz it tastes GOOD!!!!!

Yes, it is.
It can be made as thin or thick as need be.
I also forgot to say you can also color it with food coloring but if you use liquid coloring, reduce the milk a bit.

Many thanks to you, Aunt Bea, and everyone else. Now here is what happened with my carrot cake.

I baked it for slightly less time as it was already quite brown. I did the toothpick test in different spots and it came out clean as clean could be.

I put it to cool, it collapsed in the center, I cut it open a bit and it was partly raw and liquidy inside.

So I put foil on top and baked for 20 more minutes. It turned out good. V. tasty and good texture.

I guess when you have relatively little flour to absorb the moisture of all the egg yolks and grated carrots, you can expect that to happen.

Maybe I grated the carrots too fine?

Maybe this type of cake should be steamed instead, right from beginning to end - you know, somewhat like a Roly Poly?
Where you put the cake pan into a dish of water, cover the whole project, and let it steam. :LOL:

Many thanks to you, Aunt Bea, and everyone else. Now here is what happened with my carrot cake.

I baked it for slightly less time as it was already quite brown. I did the toothpick test in different spots and it came out clean as clean could be.

I put it to cool, it collapsed in the center, I cut it open a bit and it was partly raw and liquidy inside.

So I put foil on top and baked for 20 more minutes. It turned out good. V. tasty and good texture.

I guess when you have relatively little flour to absorb the moisture of all the egg yolks and grated carrots, you can expect that to happen.

Maybe this type of cake should be steamed instead, right from beginning to end - you know, somewhat like a Roly Poly?
Where you put the cake pan into a dish of water, cover the whole project, and let it steam. :LOL:

When I was doing carrot cakes they were always baked in a flat pan without a problem as long as they were baked long enough. What did you do about the frosting? I've never liked cream cheese frosting very much anyway.

Next time place your finely grated carrots into a "spotlessly clean dish towel and wring those carrots dry". That will take care of to much liquid. Then you can bake it in your flat pan. If you use a regular cake pan, I would assume that the liquid in the carrots are considered in equations. :angel:

... I did the toothpick test in different spots and it came out clean as clean could be.

...I cut it open a bit and it was partly raw and liquidy inside...

I don't understand how your toothpick "...came out clean as clean could be" if the inside of the cake was "...partly raw and liquidy inside..."

Any thoughts?

I don't understand how your toothpick "...came out clean as clean could be" if the inside of the cake was "...partly raw and liquidy inside..."

Any thoughts?

I don't understand, either; as I live and breathe I am telling the truth. I poked all over that darn cake! Toothpicks were perfectly clean. What the hey...maybe I didn't poke in that one spot that was liquidy.

Kayelle: I was in a hurry and decided to just mix powdered sugar, cream & vanilla - basically what cinisajoy recommended, instead of your instructions to make a broiled icing, which I remember my mum doing all the time. Next time - when I have learned to bake a carrot cake all nice and proper! :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom