Birthday cake for 1 year old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Siegal

Sous Chef
My baby is almost 1 (OMG! I can't believe it!!!! I was just pregnant with her!). Anyway, my husband kind of wants me to make this:

Rainbow Birthday Cake | The Flourishing Foodie

What do you think? You think she would like it? Or will it be super hard to make and never come out this pretty.
Also, should I let her dive in with her hands and we will eat what she doesn't destroy. Should I make two....Should I just cut her a slice to eat with her hands. What did you guys do for your kids birthdays?

Although I would probably make a vanilla buttercream instead of icing (dont like icing) and use a cake syrup to moisten the layers.

Last edited:
That's a beautiful cake, but to tell the truth, the baby won't care. Let her destroy her own piece and get it all over. I want to see a pic of her with cake in her hair.

A one year old will neither care nor remember (their birthday parties are for the parents, anyway), but it will make for a colorful day.

(Tell husband it was his choice, so he's on clean-up detail.)

Happy birthday to your little one! What a fun looking cake. My daughter just had her first at the end of August. I would say give her a slice, so she can see all the pretty colors. Also, I let my first daughter tear into a cake when she was one and it turned to tragedy when she got overwhelmed by all the frosting on her hands and rubbed it into her eyes. Hope the big day turns out great!

Happy birthday to your little one! What a fun looking cake. My daughter just had her first at the end of August. I would say give her a slice, so she can see all the pretty colors. Also, I let my first daughter tear into a cake when she was one and it turned to tragedy when she got overwhelmed by all the frosting on her hands and rubbed it into her eyes. Hope the big day turns out great!

Thanks! My daughter always rubs her food in her eyes but usually its not sticky frosting so she doesn't get that much in her eyes - this is good advice. Slice it is!

Congrats on your daughter's first birthday. Make the cake if you like but I agree she won't care or remember. It might be better to put a favorite figurine on top like Elmo, or Sponge Bob etc.

That really is a pretty cake!

That is a beautiful cake. The colors will fascinate her. Just a slice will do. And keep in mind if she manages to get the slice into her tummy, she is going to be on a sugar high and will not want to go down for a nap or sleep later. Happy Birthday to the little one. I would repeat that cake again for her 16th birthday. So hang onto that recipe. It is a winner.

That first birthday is so special for parents and family. Take plenty of pictures. She won't remember, but will love looking at the pics when she is older. :yum::yum:

Happy Birthday to your little girl!!!
That reminds me of the days when my daughter was that little.

But she won't care or remember anything. It's really for the parents. So have fun with whatever you like!

she is one year old, it doesn't matter to her at all, just make it sweet and a lots of frosting and let her put her hands into it, make sure to put a huge bib on her, she'll love it.

The cake is beautiful, but as a cake baker and artist, I have a few pointers:

1. You will only get those vibrant colours from paste or gel food colourings which you can get at Michael's, any cake decorating store or online.

2. Some people have eluded to the sugar content and this is a big concern. A one year old is more fascinated by all the attention than any one thing at their party. Making a less sweet cake such as carrot (but leave out nuts) is healthier for everyone. You can go with a cream cheese frosting and carve or decorate it anyway you like.

3. As for letting the child dive in and make a mess, that's totally up to you, but at least this way you will ensure she won't get as sick or hyper.

I think someone mentioned redoing the cake for a 16th birthday and I agree - someone in her early to mid teens would love the rainbow.

Anyway, whatever you do, enjoy your daughter's big day!

OK. Well the big day is almost here, FRIDAY!!! my baby is a TODDLER --- I can't believe it. Anywa, as some of you said that cake is quite an undertaking. I do not have that many people coming to eat the cake anyway. So I think I will do this type of rainbow cake instead! maybe two layers

The Homesteading Housewife: She Asked for a Rainbow...

As for sugar and hyperness I am just not that type of mom. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I think she can indulge head first in a piece of cake for her birthday and I can care less if she is hyper running/crawling around screaming afterwards as long as she has fun. But that is just me. :ROFLMAO:

Make here a cake that the cartoon character she likes ( example: mickey mouse clubhouse) and if she likes any cartoon from Disney junior

hmm, i wonder if the pioneer woman knows about the homesteading housewife?

make whatever makes you happy and is relatively healthy for your baby. and take picels because without them, no one will remember.

Its funny. I was working like 75+ hours that week due to OT and did not have time to prepare and the morning of making the cake I had no powdered sugar for the buttercream. Tried with regular sugar - not worked out well - bought a cake! But still have adorable pictures:

Attachments

• birthday4.jpg
    birthday4.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 177
Its funny. I was working like 75+ hours that week due to OT and did not have time to prepare and the morning of making the cake I had no powdered sugar for the buttercream. Tried with regular sugar - not worked out well - bought a cake! But still have adorable pictures:

Looks like she enjoyed the cake just fine!:)

Back
Top Bottom