Bittersweet Chocolate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debbie

Senior Cook
I was going to bake that cake that is on the cover of Family circle magazine February edition for Valentine's day.. and it asks for bittersweet chocolate. I thought that was the chocolate you get in the baking section that is in1 oz squares, in a box.. but when I went to the store.. all that was there was semi_sweet and unsweetened chocolate.

Where do you find bittersweet chocolate at???

I was going to bake that cake that is on the cover of Family circle magazine February edition for Valentine's day.. and it asks for bittersweet chocolate. I thought that was the chocolate you get in the baking section that is in1 oz squares, in a box.. but when I went to the store.. all that was there was semi_sweet and unsweetened chocolate.

Where do you find bittersweet chocolate???

Bittersweet chocolate is nothing more than a VERY dark chocolate. It has less sugar than semi-sweet chocolate. You might have to actually go to the candy section. In our grocery they have some really nice bars of various chocolates. You should be able to find it there - probably not at the section where you check out or the baking isle - but the specialty candy/chocolate section.

Try another grocery store or even WalMart. I've found bittersweet chocolate by the baking section.

Look for Ghirardelli 60% bittersweet baking bars. Most supermarkets carry them.

If you have a World Market store near you, check out their chocolate candy bar section. Wonderful selection of all kinds of chocolate.
This is a good tip, but you need to look for a bar with a cocoa percentage in the 60% plus range that does not contain other flavorings. I prefer the E.Guittard or Ghirardelli bars, but Trader Joe's and Whole Paycheck will occasionally have pieces of Callebaut and Valrhona.

Whole Foods has these as well. They are also carried at the local Jewel, but not very good quality in my opinion. I do like the Ghirardelli bars 60% as well.

I'm thinking when I've bought it, it was in the baking section with the choco chippers etc. But maybe not. I never buy only one [cause I freeze them for later use when they're on sale]. My favorite bittersweet, is the kosher that's out this time of year or around Christmas in the kosher section, look there.

Today, I found all the chocolate I will ever want being as it's on sale for 50% off cause Valentines Day is over, and I'm the winning recipient of decadence!

Back
Top Bottom