Black Devil's-Food Cake Recipe TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States

BLACK DEVIL’S-FOOD CAKE​
(Serves 10 to 12)​
2 cups granulated sugar
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup strong back coffee
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
½ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Grease and flour one 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan. In a large mixer bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla; beat at medium speed for about 2 minutes. Batter will be very thin, almost watery. Don't worry. That's how it's supposed to be. Pour into prepared pan. Bake in preheated 350º oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. Frost as desired.

Note: *To make sour milk, add 1 Tbsp. white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup milk. Let stand a few minutes to sour.

My mother used to put a thick fudge-like icing on the cake. I never really did. I usually sprinkle each piece with powdered sugar before serving.

If one large cake is too much for your family, the batter can be evenly divided between two 8-inch square pans. Bake at the same temperature adjusting time for pan size. I think I check the pans at about 25 to 30 minutes by testing the cake with a clean toothpick. If it comes out clean, I remove the cakes from the oven.

Eat them both or let cool completely and freeze one. This cake freezes very, very well.

Thanks Katie,
I have everything at the ready so will be putting this together today..The kids will be thrilled..It looks wonderful.

kadesma

My mother used to put a thick fudge-like icing on the cake. I never really did. I usually sprinkle each piece with powdered sugar before serving.

Do you happen to have that thick fudge-like icing? Gee, sometimes I like to have a little cake with my icing. :rolleyes:

Katie,
cake is in the oven.. This was a snap to do...It took hardly any time at all and even the batter looks beautiful and dark.. Now I can hardly wait til it's finished and cooled.:pig:

kadesma

StirBlue said:
Do you happen to have that thick fudge-like icing? Gee, sometimes I like to have a little cake with my icing. :rolleyes:

Hmmm. Little cake with your icing. Now that's a concept I can wrap my taste buds around.:LOL:

I don't really remember the recipe except that I think it was a box of powdered sugar, a stick of softened butter, a bunch of cocoa powder, a whole egg, and some vanilla. It was really, really good. Of course, in this day and age where people go nuclear over raw egg in something, I'm not sure it's a PC recipe. But, it was dadgummed tasty and creamy as all get out.

Katie E, Thanks for the Black Devil's-Food Cake. And the fixins for the Fudge Frosting.

We always used that kind of frosting, too!

Thanks, Katie! I think I want to make it as a layer cake.... Just stack 'em up!!!! :rolleyes: :LOL:

Also sending it to my niece... My nephew's 1st birthday is coming up in a few weeks. I can see him diving into that! :ROFLMAO:

ChefJune said:
We always used that kind of frosting, too!

Thanks, Katie! I think I want to make it as a layer cake.... Just stack 'em up!!!! :rolleyes: :LOL:

Also sending it to my niece... My nephew's 1st birthday is coming up in a few weeks. I can see him diving into that! :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, as I remember it was my favorite. That was in the late '50s.

Oh, I can see the "First Birthday" pictures now. Chocolate all over his face and fingers. Too cute!:)

Thanks for the recipes Katie E. When the weather is too cold and we are out of ice cream but have cones, we frost the inside of a cone with chocolate frosting, fill with redi-whip, and add sprinkles. Then we watch Broom Sticks & Bed Knobs for the 400th time. I might just watch it again with a piece of cake! We are having a rain on/off day!

Katie,
cake has cooled..Just had a small piece, darn, wish I'd not offered the kids some to take home now:LOL: It is moist and delicious..Does not need any frosting..It's perfect as is.
kadesma

Katie - how did you know I was absolutely craving something chocolately? This sounds wonderful. I think I'll make this tonight WITH my mom's "thick fudge frosting"....so much for the diet today.....

but sometimes you have to say what the heck.....

Back
Top Bottom