I took a couple shortcuts on this one
* Godiva Dark Chocolate Cake Mix, baked according to package directions in 8x8-inch baking pan
* Instant milk chocolate pudding, prepared with whole milk
* 2 21-oz. cans cherry pie filling
* 1 pint whipping cream, whipped to stiff peaks
* 1 cup frozen mixed cherries, thawed, for garnish
* 1 dark chocolate bar, for garnish
Let cake cool completely. Meanwhile, make chocolate pudding and chill. Cut cake into bite-sized pieces.
Spread a thin layer of whipped cream in the bottom of a trifle bowl. Cover with a layer of cake, then a layer of pudding, then a layer of cherry pie filling, then a layer of whipped cream. Continue with a second layer. Leave a rim of cherry pie filling uncovered (see picture below).
Decorate the top with cherries and grated chocolate. Chill for at least one hour before serving.