Black Royal Icing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I know if you want to make a black icing it's best to color a chocolate icing as opposed to a white buttercream (when you end up with varying shades of dark gray). But what's the best way to make a very black royal icing?

Never tried to make black royal icing, but I'll give you a hint about black buttercream.

When making buttercream, especially the darker colors such as red for roses and black, you're better off mixing the color into the buttercream a day or two ahead of time. The color develops and becomes darker. So, a dark gray buttercream will turn black. You end up using much less food coloring which means it will taste better.

You may want to try that with royal icing. Color it to a dark gray and let it sit overnight. See if it darkens with time.

I made a black Bundt cake with lemon filling for someone's 40th bday once. I actually used a deep green liquid color that was so dark you absolutely could not tell that the difference. Both the cake and the filling were BLACK. You might give it a whirl.

I've had a couple of kids parents not allow theirs to have a halloween cake because the black (wilton) food color I used was said to have created havoc on the intestinal tract in the past. I haven't had that experience (not that I want to..) but I think about it when I go to decorate for halloween, so I stick to Orange and use a lot of black licorace etc.
bummer.

southerncook said:
I've had a couple of kids parents not allow theirs to have a halloween cake because the black (wilton) food color I used was said to have created havoc on the intestinal tract in the past. I haven't had that experience (not that I want to..) but I think about it when I go to decorate for halloween, so I stick to Orange and use a lot of black licorace etc.
bummer.

The trouble is the color is not digestible. It can be upsetting to some people, but in sufficient quantities, it tends to turn #2 black and that freaks out a lot of people.

I hesitate to use so much food coloring except for the trimmings.

Anybody remember the green Hershey's Chocolate? Same thing happened with that. It turned #2 green.

Back
Top Bottom