Boxed cake and scratch frosting from a tub devils food cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bacardi

Senior Cook
Just wanted to pass my experience...

Used Betty Crocker Devils food cake. I used butter instead of oil, whole milk instead of water and added 2oz of melted chocolate. In the traditional devils food, both milk and melted chocolate are no-no's, but I had the 2oz laying around.

For the frosting, I tried ATKs chocolate butter cream recipe and my guests were not fans of the super creamy/airy texture of the whipped butter...Several said while it tasted great was moouse like...I experiment and think I found the secret...Not to cream the butter to melt the chocolate with the butter in the microwave and then mix it...The results were fantastic if you're guests enjoy frosting texture from a tub (eg: betty crocker frosting)

The recipe I used was...
2 sticks of butter
10oz of 60% cacoa chocolate, I like ghirardelli and it's cheap my local walmart
2c of confectioners sugar
1tbs of vanilla
pinch of salt

Melt chocolate and butter in the microwave, combine all ingredients in a mixer and beat until desired texture. Maybe four mins on high on my artison kitchen aide mixuture...

This was the best chocolate cake I've ever had! I'd post a pic, but it looks like anyother chocolate layer cake :)

I'm trying the butter and milk substitiution (+ chocolate) bit in the cake I'm baking for my wife's birthday. For the chocolate I'm using about 7 Hershey's minatures bars (likewise, just have them lying around...). If the batter taste is any indicataion, the cake should be really good after it's baked.

Going to use a standard tub frosting though, don't have the time (or the hardware really) for making my own frosting.

First impressions from putting it together, the batter turned out really thick. It may have been because I stopped to pull the chocolate out of the microwave from melting it. because it thickened up really quickly after I added it... perhaps it was the temperature or something. Anyway, the thick batter was easy to put into the pans. I mentioned the taste of the batter already... mmm.

I'm trying the butter and milk substitiution (+ chocolate) bit in the cake I'm baking for my wife's birthday. For the chocolate I'm using about 7 Hershey's minatures bars (likewise, just have them lying around...). If the batter taste is any indicataion, the cake should be really good after it's baked.

Going to use a standard tub frosting though, don't have the time (or the hardware really) for making my own frosting.

First impressions from putting it together, the batter turned out really thick. It may have been because I stopped to pull the chocolate out of the microwave from melting it. because it thickened up really quickly after I added it... perhaps it was the temperature or something. Anyway, the thick batter was easy to put into the pans. I mentioned the taste of the batter already... mmm.

You're wife must be lucky that your baking for her at 1am! Milk, butter and chocolate is the way to go! Let us know how she likes it!

l_874c85e2aee14d39839390c005671f6f.jpg

Made it again, this was a marble cake...

Back
Top Bottom