Buttercream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

middie

Chef Extraordinaire
I have a question about buttercream icing. okay we have to go to a birthday party sunday and bring cake. bf is wanting to make buttercream icing. everyone in his family is allergic to milk. so my question is...
can margarine be used instead... and if so should he use the same amount called for in the recipe?

You can do it, but it will be inferior to a butter-based cream. I have no idea what the conversion is.

Frosting

5 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup milk-free, soy-free margarine, softened
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup water

Beat all ingredients on medium speed until smooth and of spreading consistency.
If necessary, stir in additional water, 1 teaspoon at a time.

* use Fleishman's unsalted margarine. Be sure to get the unsalted.
It is listed as Parve and does not contain any milk.

check here for more cake and icing recipes...
Food Allergy Recipes

hope this helps!

Be careful with the margarine. Many margerines have milk-solids or milk proteins in them. Also, the soft varieties have considerable amounts of water as well. Another factor is the salt content. I use unsalted butter made from sweet cream for my buttercream icing. It is very good.

Are the allergies related to the milk sugars (lactose intolerance) or to the milk protien?

Rather than using a buttercream icing, you might try using a non-dairy whipped topping and stabilizing it by whipping unflavored gelatin into it to make a stabilized whipped cream frosting. These are very creamy and with a great flavor.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

goodweed i think it's the lactose thing. i could be wrong i just know they all get really sick after eating/drinking anything with milk.
thanks for all your help guys

Just be safe and make it with vegetable shortening like most bakeries do.

I've made a vegan 'cream cheese' frosting using tofu cream cheese that was pretty awesome; look for tofu cream cheese in either health food stores, or sometimes stores that carry a lot of kosher products. You can sub it for the regular cream cheese in any recipe.

Back
Top Bottom