Butterscotch 6 layer cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Thought I'd posted this a couple nights ago, but I must have done something wrong. This is possible the best cake I've ever made. So I;;m posting it again, for all of my friends here on DC.

Cake batter:
3 large eggs
Nonstick baking spray
4cups sifted cake flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 tsp.Salt
3 cups dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups room temperature milk
3 cups + 2 tbs.sunflower, or safflower oil
4 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 D. F. Separate the eggs. Whisk together the egg yolks, oil, sugar, and brown sugar. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites to form stiff peaks. Combine all cake ingredients except egg whites, and mix until smooth. Fold in in the egg whites. Spray and flour two 9 inch cake pans. Pour cake batter equally into the cake pans and place into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Test with toothpick.

Butterscotch Sauce:
8 tbs. unsalted butter
2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

While the cake is baking, place the butter, brown sugar, and salt in a sauce[an and stir over low heat until the brown sugar and butter are well blended. Slowly whisk in th cream. Whisk in the vabilla. Simmer to make a rich and thick sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.

Frosting:
2 tsxp. unflavored powdered gelatin
2 cups dark brown sugar
1 cup half-n-half
1 1/2 cup water
2 1/2 lbs. unsalted softened butter (10 sticks)
4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Place the water and gelatin into a saucepan and bring to a simmer while stirring. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until smooth. Remove from the heat.

Cut each cake into three equal layers. When the fisting and butterscotch sauce are cool, combine them and mxx until smooth. Spread a layer of frosting between each layer. Spread remaining frosting all over the sides and top of the cake.

This cake is six layers of heaven. Tip, you can make this more interesting by adding chopped hazelnuts, walnuts, or macadamia nuts to the cake batter.

This is a lot of cake, and can make a great dessert centerpiece. You can make the icing thicker, so that you can pipe decorative designs onto the cake.

Wish I had a picture of this cake. It looked as good as it tasted.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet it's wonderful Chief but is this the correct amount of butter for the frosting?....
I doubled the recipe as there are six layers of cake, with icing between each layer. The same goes for the butterscotch sauce. It's doubled as well.

Any extra frosting can be used with graham crackers, or put on cupcakes, or spread on hot cinnamon rolls, or on top of sugar cookies, etc.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwindof the North

How much white sugar in the cake batter?

How much white sugar goes into the cake batter?
Thanks for the recipe! I love butterscotch and can't wait to make this cake.:pig:

How much white sugar goes into the cake batter?
Thanks for the recipe! I love butterscotch and can't wait to make this cake.:pig:

I used all brown sugar to maximize the butterscotch flavor. Hope you love it. Of course, feel free to experiment with this recipe. All recipes are simply a starting point, at least to me.

Seeeeeeey; Chief Longwind of the North

Hi Chief!

One of the Butterscotch Cake ingredients reads as "/2 sugar." (It is listed right after "3 cups dark brown sugar.") Does that mean ONE-HALF cup sugar? And is the sugar white or light brown?
Thanks very much. My making this wonderful cake hangs on your answer. Please don't desert me! :)

:pig:

Hi Chief!

One of the Butterscotch Cake ingredients reads as "/2 sugar." (It is listed right after "3 cups dark brown sugar.") Does that mean ONE-HALF cup sugar? And is the sugar white or light brown?
Thanks very much. My making this wonderful cake hangs on your answer. Please don't desert me! :)

You are correct. That should have read 1/2 cup white sugar. Sorry aboutthe typo.

Butterscotch 6-layer cake

Ah, typos. Very understandable. Thank you for the correction, Chief. Now I can make your cake! :yum:

Wow, This recipe looks delicious. I'm have been looking for a butterscotch cake recipe from a few days. This is the best recipe till now.
I look forward to making this soon.

Back
Top Bottom