Cake: 18% cream instead of whole milk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know in my kitchen I'm the boss and I can do what ever I want. I would go with what I have on hand and mix the two using my best estimates, probably heavy on the cream. Maybe a new recipe would be created.

There is almost never just milk in my kitchen, I don't drink it. But there is always 1/2&1/2...that is what I use for all things needing milk.

I know in my kitchen I'm the boss and I can do what ever I want.

Lol. Must be nice! Alas, in my kitchen... I am not the boss. I am not even the line cook. I believe the dishwasher is at a higher pay grade than I am. No... me... I'm at the mercy of my equipment, ingredients, and my woeful lack of imagination and skill :LOL:

- Steven

Ok, baked but not yet tasted (still in the midst of decorating). I'm waiting for the chocolate to freeze before continuing.

At least there was no disaster :) From the trimmings, I'd say its still a tiny bit dry. And a wee too salty :( Other than that, its cake! Tastes good. I'm sure I can't tell that I put sour cream in it... I don't detect that flavor at all. Then again, I don't have the most refined pallet in the world. Its not a big enough winner to bother posting as a fabulous recipe.

Here's the base recipe (credit - I did just the cake, not their icing)

Cinnamon Vanilla Cake:

• 2 sticks butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
And, as stated before, I modified "1 cup whole milk" as previously described.

For the cinnamon, I used this stuff, which I can recommend! It tastes SO much better than your typical store-bought stuff.

For the first topping, I asked on another thread for some suggestions of a "crunchy" (wrong word really) chocolate topping. It worked fantastic! I'm waiting for it to get hard so I can then top that with some butter cream. The chocolate is there more for texture than taste, but we'll see how it works out :) Its meant as a bit of a surprise to the eater. Here's a picture of how it is so far:

IMG_1214.jpg

Speaking of "suprises", I decided to get a little silly with the cake itself:

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1212.jpg

- Steven

Last edited:
For the first topping, I asked on another thread for some suggestions of a "crunchy" (wrong word really) chocolate topping. It worked fantastic! I'm waiting for it to get hard so I can then top that with some butter cream. The chocolate is there more for texture than taste, but we'll see how it works out :) Its meant as a bit of a surprise to the eater. Here's a picture of how it is so far:
Speaking of "suprises", I decided to get a little silly with the cake itself:
- Steven

Very awesome surprises for your guests, what a great imagination you have. I can't wait to see it with it's first cut piece. Great thread.

Thanks! I'll really try to remember to get a picture once the first slice is out... but there will be a lot going on. Here are some pictures of the finished cake. I couldn't find my %@$@#! offset spatula anywhere, and I didn't have a lot of luck smoothing the icing with my rubber flipper and spoon handle attempts lol. Oh well. The gum paste flowers came out nice :)

- Steven

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

That cake looks stunning!

I love the decorations with the flowers and the butterflies, just perfect :)

Are those flowers and butterflies readily available in stores and if so, what type of stores would sell them?

The cake looks like a really fun project! I'm sure when you serve it, it will be perfect. How can it not be with 2 sticks of butter. Every thing is better with butter in it. I hope we get to see a picture of it when you cut it.

The cake looks like a really fun project! I'm sure when you serve it, it will be perfect. How can it not be with 2 sticks of butter. Every thing is better with butter in it. I hope we get to see a picture of it when you cut it.

Yeah, but he left out bacon!

Or did I leave out the bacon? I said there was a surprise in it! :)

Ok ok, no bacon. I did manage to take a couple shots after the first cut.

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

The chocolate coating was a big hit! Everyone thought the semi-sweetness balanced out the super-sweetness of the cake :) There were a lot of "oohs" and "ahhs" when the rainbows were revealed! In case you're wondering about the "boring" teal layer at the bottom... this is the first cake I've baked at this home. We're 2km above sea level here and I was SHOCKED at how much it crowned! It was originally going to be just 2 layers, but once I cut off the crowns, the layers were too thin so I baked a 3rd layer this morning. I didn't have the time to do another rainbow layer so instead I used another colour alltogether.

I was my biggest critic. After finishing one slice, I really thought it was too salty - which, as my wife pointed out, is strange because I add salt to salt! I put salt in EVERYTHING. Everyone thought I was crazy (or they were just being nice) because they said it was all very good.

Kylie1969 said:
Are those flowers and butterflies readily available in stores and if so, what type of stores would sell them?

No, they are hand-made, but I will reveal my source if you promise to keep a secret :angel:: Gum Paste Sugar Flower Blossoms and more gumpaste by SweetEdibles

Thanks for the help and comments everyone!

- Steven

Last edited:
There is almost never just milk in my kitchen, I don't drink it. But there is always 1/2&1/2...that is what I use for all things needing milk.

I buy 1/2 and 1/2 by the half gallon. I drink a lot of milk. Or at least I used to. I would buy a gallon of milk at the beginning of the month. It would be gone in a week. Then I cut it down to a half gallon. Would end up dumping the last cup or so. Now I buy just a quart and am still not drinking it as fast or using it in cooking. So now I buy milk by the pint. But like you, I use my coffee 1/2 and 1/2 for cooking. It makes for really creamy chocolate pudding. The kind you have to cook. I now go through that first half gallon realy quick and have to buy a second one before the month is out. I barely stretch that out to the first of the month for my next shopping trip. I also find myself drinking it in small amounts. :yum:

They're nice, huh? Yeah, I pretty much just took a random shot - they all look great. I had the idea for the rainbow cake so I went with the mixed-bag of flowers and the rainbow selection of butterflies.

She does a really good job. They taste good too! I was sure to choose the 100% edible ones (they aren't all, so read carefully) and while I wouldn't want to munch on them as a snack... the one I ate was pretty good!

- Steven

Inside and out that's an amazing cake. Congrats! You should post those pics in an album so we can all see the cake in the random photos.

I meant to create an album here on DC and load your pics here. IF you go to the forum listing page, you'll see a series of four photos across the top of the page. Those are randomly chosen from members' albums.

To create an album, go to your profile page and you should find a section on albums and should be able to walk through the steps.

I meant to create an album here on DC and load your pics here. IF you go to the forum listing page, you'll see a series of four photos across the top of the page. Those are randomly chosen from members' albums.

To create an album, go to your profile page and you should find a section on albums and should be able to walk through the steps.
+1

Back
Top Bottom